British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Time (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-time-529375/)

penguinsix Apr 15th 2008 12:37 am

Tax Time

Anyone else doing their taxes tonight at the last minute? At least I got the TaxCut software with a $15 discount.

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2008 12:56 am

Re: Tax Time

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 6209280)
Anyone else doing their taxes tonight at the last minute? At least I got the TaxCut software with a $15 discount.

Our are done and sent courtesy of our accountants. :thumbsup:

USBound Apr 15th 2008 2:34 am

wife did ours today and efiled using turbotax....

md95065 Apr 15th 2008 6:26 am

Oddly enough, since I put almost everything off until (or, sometimes, just after) the last possible moment I did my taxes ages ago - although, since I owe money, I didn't actually file them until last week.

Usually I do a fairly accurate estimate of the year's taxes over the Thanksgiving holiday so I still have a chance to make some adjustments in December if I need to. In January I enter everything into TurboTax as soon as it comes in and usually have everything ready by the first week of February.

Folinskyinla Apr 15th 2008 9:13 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 6210078)
Oddly enough, since I put almost everything off until (or, sometimes, just after) the last possible moment I did my taxes ages ago - although, since I owe money, I didn't actually file them until last week.

Usually I do a fairly accurate estimate of the year's taxes over the Thanksgiving holiday so I still have a chance to make some adjustments in December if I need to. In January I enter everything into TurboTax as soon as it comes in and usually have everything ready by the first week of February.

Hi:

Unfortunately, this is one of those years the return shows a refund due which will be credited to estimated. So the accountant has asked for an extension to make sure its right.

I see you live in the Northern claimant to "Surf City." One of my offspring used to be a Banana Slug. Used to drive up there all the time, stopping for lunch at the Jack Ranch Cafe near the intersection of Highways 46 & 33. Drove both a product of the Ford Motor Company AND a German car and crossed the intersection many times without incident.

Bob Apr 17th 2008 1:42 am

Got our state tax done, and got a refund, but fat fingers meant a boof in calculations and got less back than expected...still waiting on the federal.

Was an effort getting BIL to do his taxes, hope he did his maine one and did his mass one as a non-resident or he'll be in for a surprise to the tune of $912 fine if he claimed being a mass resident as he doesn't have medical insurance....that and car, drivers license and everything say he's still living with the folks :lol:

NC Penguin Apr 17th 2008 2:11 am

I did the State and Federal tax returns using Turbotax and sent those almost four weeks ago. The State refund check arrived earlier this week but we're still waiting on the Federal tax refund (this is the first time we'll have got a refund).

zargof Apr 17th 2008 3:07 am

We filed our taxes ages ago, and got a 4K refund which was nice, but has already been spent, alas...

SpoogleDrummer Apr 17th 2008 4:19 pm

We did ours as soon as we could as I needed the refund in my account to close on the house we bought. Ours is long gone too :( We also filed jointly with my wife's name first which is a bit of a pain now we found out that George's handouts are scheduled on the last 2 digits of your SSN, mine would've got us the money much sooner.

kins Apr 19th 2008 2:02 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 6223827)
We did ours as soon as we could as I needed the refund in my account to close on the house we bought. Ours is long gone too :( We also filed jointly with my wife's name first which is a bit of a pain now we found out that George's handouts are scheduled on the last 2 digits of your SSN, mine would've got us the money much sooner.

Oooh I hadn't heard that... we're 01 :rofl: