Tax on Shares/Crypto

Wikiposts

Tax on Shares/Crypto

Old Sep 27th 2021, 2:25 am
Just Joined

EXPAT121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax on Shares/Crypto

Hi All,

I'll be moving to the US in the next few months and wanted some help to address the below question.

I currently hold shares in a trading account and an ISA. How would this be taxed? Lets say I sell the shares whilst in the US, or if I do not sell these. Same with Crypto. If I purchased in the UK but sell whilst non resident and living and working in the US.

help appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th 2021, 2:48 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on Shares/Crypto

The IRS will tax the profits on your shares and crypto, including those in an ISA, if you sell them while subject to IRS taxes which you will be while you are living and working in the USA. They do not care where you lived when you bought them. You will be subject to taxes on all profits from the date you bought them even if the purchase date was many years before you became subject to IRS taxation. If you are a US citizen or green card holder they will tax you regardless of where you live when you sell them. If you do not sell you will still have to pay taxes on all dividends received while subject to IRS taxation, again including everything received within an ISA.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 3:00 am
Just Joined

EXPAT121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax on Shares/Crypto

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
The IRS will tax the profits on your shares and crypto, including those in an ISA, if you sell them while subject to IRS taxes which you will be while you are living and working in the USA. They do not care where you lived when you bought them. You will be subject to taxes on all profits from the date you bought them even if the purchase date was many years before you became subject to IRS taxation. If you are a US citizen or green card holder they will tax you regardless of where you live when you sell them. If you do not sell you will still have to pay taxes on all dividends received while subject to IRS taxation, again including everything received within an ISA.
Thank you so much for the information above, appreciate it!