Reload this Page >

Tax returns and a SAHM

Tax returns and a SAHM

Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Dolewhippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax returns and a SAHM

Hi all

New to this forum, looking into how to move back to the US from the UK!

I'm reading that as part of filing to get my UKC husband a green card, I need to provide my last 3 year's tax returns. I have not worked for the past three years as I have been a SAHM -- so what would I do in this situation?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:23 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns and a SAHM

Originally Posted by Dolewhippy
Hi all

New to this forum, looking into how to move back to the US from the UK!

I'm reading that as part of filing to get my UKC husband a green card, I need to provide my last 3 year's tax returns. I have not worked for the past three years as I have been a SAHM -- so what would I do in this situation?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!!
Go ahead and file back returns for the 3 years. Since you probably won't owe any taxes, you probably won't owe any penalties. You can provide actual copies of your filings with that part of the visa paperwork, or wait until the filings are processed by the IRS and then request IRS transcripts (which are free).

Alternatively, you can provide a statement that you did not make more than the threshhold for needing to file, therefore you did not file. Either way, you will still be responsible for making sure the financial requirement is met for sponsorship (though you can use another US citizen to stand as a joint sponsor if necessary, you will still need to provide your financial information).

Last edited by Speedwell; Nov 21st 2013 at 3:26 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Dolewhippy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's really helpful
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:33 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dolewhippy
Thanks, that's really helpful
It's important to remember that if you were married on December 31 of any of those tax years, you must file married. However, it's simplest to file "married filing separately" if your husband has no tax ID number/social security number for the US. You can amend your returns within, I think, 5 years after the original due date to "married filing joint" once he does have a tax ID number to recapture any savings you might get for filing jointly, though you'd best ask a tax accountant familiar with overseas filings for assistance in your particular case (likely worth the money).
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Also submit the returns via the IRS in London (At the embassy) its much quicker than submitting in the US.

My Wife (USC) had the same issue - had not submitted any returns for the 10 years we'd been in the UK. She was working part of the time. I downloaded the forms and submitted them all for her. Luckily no tax payable and hence no penalties.

Once I had submitted them we applied for the I-130 or whatever it was within a week of submitting them. Had no issues at all.

I'm assuming you have assets to support your I130 application coz his salary doesn't count.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Neither the petitioner's nor the beneficiary's financial situation has nothing to do with an I-130 petition.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by goatherder
I'm assuming you have assets to support your I130 application coz his salary doesn't count.