Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tax returns and confusing things

tax returns and confusing things

Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:40 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default tax returns and confusing things

hmm ok so as i am now employed I guess I Will have to file my taxes next year - so what kind of things do i need to keep - just payslips? or bank statements? We didnt have to do anything this year and we arrived just as they were being filed!! Dont want to throw stuff away only to find I need it come next year!!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax returns and confusing things

Your employer will send you a W-2 form at the end of the tax year declaring the all taxes and other deductions they have made from your payroll. When you file your tax return next year you or your tax preparation firm will need to this form.
They dont need individual payslips or bank statements.
If you have more than 1 employer in a year you will receive additional W-2 forms.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
hmm ok so as i am now employed I guess I Will have to file my taxes next year - so what kind of things do i need to keep - just payslips? or bank statements? We didnt have to do anything this year and we arrived just as they were being filed!! Dont want to throw stuff away only to find I need it come next year!!!
You should have filled out a tax form when you started work. This controls how much they deduct for state and federal taxes.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the W2 is the US equivalent of the UK P60 - summary (per employer) of annual earnings/taxes.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We did our taxes using TurboTax last year. It's worth going through the process of creating a TurboTax return so you can get some idea what kind of things you can deduct and what receipts you'll need.

We took the standard deduction (is that what it's called?) so we didn't need that many receipts but if you're itemising then you might need more.

I remember we needed information from the mortgage company, plus something to say how much we spent on healthcare...
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
We did our taxes using TurboTax last year. It's worth going through the process of creating a TurboTax return so you can get some idea what kind of things you can deduct and what receipts you'll need.

We took the standard deduction (is that what it's called?) so we didn't need that many receipts but if you're itemising then you might need more.

I remember we needed information from the mortgage company, plus something to say how much we spent on healthcare...
You didn't take the standard deduction if you deducted items such as mortgage interest, medical costs, property taxes, auto license fees, and/or state income taxes.

Turbo tax may have assigned you the standard deduction if your deductions were not as great as the standard (minimum) deduction. If that was the case, any information entered for deductions was not used.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 31st 2008 at 5:38 am.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
You didn't take the standard deduction if you deducted items such as mortgage interest, medical costs, property taxes, auto license fees, and/or state income taxes.

Turbo tax may have assigned you the standard deduction if your deductions were not as great as the standard (minimum) deduction. If that was the case, any information entered for deductions was not used.
Yes I seem to recall I tried entering the information both ways out of curiousity then didn't need most of it...
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately US banks etc. will send you a statement of interest earned the previous year, in January. I think it's called a 1099-INT. So, you don't need to keep track of the statements. However, if you have any interest income from foreign banks, you'll need to compile that from the statements, because they won't send you a 1099-INT or equivalent.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

We always simply take the standard deduction. It is relatively high, so unless you have lots of mortgage interest and very high medical expenses, it is often advantageous (and much easier) just to go with the standard deduction. Another major advantage of taking the standard deduction versus itemizing; you will be in less danger of being hit with the Alternative Minimum Tax sometime in the future.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:25 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

well this alsounds mighty confusing! I shall just wait till next year and hope it magically sorts itself I guess!!!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

well this alsounds mighty confusing! I shall just wait till next year and hope it magically sorts itself I guess!!!
Not a good idea. It's not like Blighty where the tax withholding is calculated accurately. Have you filled out a W4?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

thanks
Actually it's dead easy if the only income you have is salary and maybe a little bank account interest. It starts to get complicated when you have other situations (kids with college tuition, capital gains, you own a business etc.) Whether you can use the 1040EZ, 1040A, or the actual 1040, you should be able to knock it off in an hour or two. If I were you, I'd do it manually (pencil on paper 1040) at least for the first year. Then, you'll understand the basic principles & you can decide to use Turbotax or similar in future years.
There are loads of "tax for beginners" type articles on the web. Here's one from Kiplingers Personal Finance Magazine for instance---
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...54/ai_59486132
The IRS themselves are pretty helpful and the instructions to the form 1040EZ, 1040A etc are in fact all you really need.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:52 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Actually it's dead easy if the only income you have is salary and maybe a little bank account interest. It starts to get complicated when you have other situations (kids with college tuition, capital gains, you own a business etc.) Whether you can use the 1040EZ, 1040A, or the actual 1040, you should be able to knock it off in an hour or two. If I were you, I'd do it manually (pencil on paper 1040) at least for the first year. Then, you'll understand the basic principles & you can decide to use Turbotax or similar in future years.
There are loads of "tax for beginners" type articles on the web. Here's one from Kiplingers Personal Finance Magazine for instance---
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...54/ai_59486132
The IRS themselves are pretty helpful and the instructions to the form 1040EZ, 1040A etc are in fact all you really need.
For a beginner I'd recommend doing BOTH. I'd file electronically though. You'll get your refund much Much quicker than that. Last year I got my refund in via direct deposit in 5 business days. I got my State much quicker. The good thing about doing TurboTax is that it will check for errors. Plus it's much easier than doing a manual return. Since this is your first go round you'll probably make a mistake that may flag you for audit. However do both anyway just to make the process more 'transparent'.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:54 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ugacrew
For a beginner I'd recommend doing BOTH. I'd file electronically though. You'll get your refund much Much quicker than that.

If you get a refund you are a beginner. Or an idiot.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:01 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you get a refund you are a beginner. Or an idiot.
I got a refund because I have shit load of deductions higher than the standard deduction. If it weren't for owning a home I'd be paying Uncle Sam out the nose.

EDIT: I also make pre-tax contributions into a 403b there by lowering my taxible income thus I'm in a lower tax bracket.

Last edited by ugacrew; Aug 31st 2008 at 4:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.