British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Returns 2011 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-returns-2011-a-747898/)

washsaint Feb 9th 2012 12:11 am

Tax Returns 2011

2nd year in, I was going to try and file tax returns myself. Because we have a UK rental property I got a bit lost and went back to Pete Newton.

Thank goodness I did - having seen the final returns that are being submitted I'm so glad I used someone who knows what they are doing. As much as anything, we've got more of a rebate coming than if we had used Turbo Tax.

I would personally recommend Pete to anyone who has a tax situation similar to ourselves. Sure has taken the pain out of filing taxes!

Hope this has not contravened any Board rules, etc. but Pete has been so helpful and responsive I thought I would share it with others.

penguinbar Feb 9th 2012 4:07 am

Re: Tax Returns 2011

I totally agree. This will be our third year with Pete. I highly recommend him!

lj2 Feb 10th 2012 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 9892153)
I totally agree. This will be our third year with Pete. I highly recommend him!

Who is he?

penguinbar Feb 10th 2012 5:23 pm

Pete is member of BE who is an accountant who is certified and very knowledgeable about taxes in the UK and the US.

prdurrant Feb 24th 2012 8:31 pm

Can you give me Pete's details please?

Bob Feb 24th 2012 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by prdurrant (Post 9919462)

http://bit.ly/wCMSGB

SATX John Feb 24th 2012 11:14 pm

Question on taxes, is their FAQ or sticky thread on pension taxes in the US? My mother in law has a private pension in the UK, so we are looking at her tax implications if she immigrates. Dos she pay double taxes or does the US system allow her to deduct any UK point of origin taxes?

Thanks

Bob Feb 25th 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by SATX John (Post 9919703)
Dos she pay double taxes or does the US system allow her to deduct any UK point of origin taxes?

There are plenty of threads on the subject you could probably quite easily, recent ones too which cover some of your questions....and you'll find there is a tax treaty so you won't get taxed twice, unless it's a very high sum, but it isn't the taxes that is the fun, it's the IRS filing requirements.

SATX John Feb 25th 2012 12:42 am

Very Helpful. Will keep digging through threads.

Thanks

penguinbar Feb 25th 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by prdurrant (Post 9919462)

Peter Newton
www.britishexpatstax.com

prdurrant Apr 19th 2012 7:17 pm

Penguinbar, I ended up taking your advice and using Pete. He did a great job and is a lovely chap

nun Apr 19th 2012 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by SATX John (Post 9919703)
Question on taxes, is their FAQ or sticky thread on pension taxes in the US? My mother in law has a private pension in the UK, so we are looking at her tax implications if she immigrates. Dos she pay double taxes or does the US system allow her to deduct any UK point of origin taxes?

Thanks

If she becomes US resident she will only be taxed in the US. She will file a US-Individual-2002 with the IRS who then forward it to HMRC and the UK will not deduct tax from her UK pension payments. The same goes for UK state pension.

How she has to deal with the personal pension on US taxes will depend how the pension is structured. If she has bought an annuity and is receiving payments it should be fairly simple and she can just enter the income on line 21 of the 1040 and describe it as "foreign pension". It won't be FBAR reportable, but might need to be included on FATCA.

As an aside what would your MIL do about health insurance?

penguinbar Apr 20th 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by prdurrant (Post 10015286)
Penguinbar, I ended up taking your advice and using Pete. He did a great job and is a lovely chap

Glad to hear it!

SATX John Apr 20th 2012 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 10015415)
If she becomes US resident she will only be taxed in the US. She will file a US-Individual-2002 with the IRS who then forward it to HMRC and the UK will not deduct tax from her UK pension payments. The same goes for UK state pension.

How she has to deal with the personal pension on US taxes will depend how the pension is structured. If she has bought an annuity and is receiving payments it should be fairly simple and she can just enter the income on line 21 of the 1040 and describe it as "foreign pension". It won't be FBAR reportable, but might need to be included on FATCA.

As an aside what would your MIL do about health insurance?

Thanks on the info. She will be a perm res GC initially. Her Health will be covered through an investment inturment we are turning into a Helth Savings account.

On the private pensions working with Lloyds and their international account system. Also, our bank (USAA) allows us to open accounts etc... for her as a sponsor we may use that once the pros and cons are done.

Thanks Again.

nun Apr 21st 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by SATX John (Post 10017385)
Thanks on the info. She will be a perm res GC initially. Her Health will be covered through an investment inturment we are turning into a Helth Savings account.

On the private pensions working with Lloyds and their international account system. Also, our bank (USAA) allows us to open accounts etc... for her as a sponsor we may use that once the pros and cons are done.

Thanks Again.

Have you costed out US health insurance for your MIL? Having an HSA is a good idea, but I'd want to know about the cost and even availability of coverage.

I would talk to a US international tax expert about the personal pension. In my experience foreign banks know very little about US taxes.