Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Return...daughters Social Security number

Tax Return...daughters Social Security number

Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice
Default Tax Return...daughters Social Security number

Please can you help, I have searched and searched and can't find any of the tax return threads (sorry I can't post this there, I know they are here somewhere!). I deperately need to get hold of my daughters social securoty number. She is 5 years old and has dual USA/UK citizenship with both passports. Me (UK) my husband (American ) and my daughter live in UK, but are applying for Marriage based visa for me so we can move to USA asap. My husband needs to file his last three year tax returns in USA even though all his income has been in the UK for the I864. For this they need dependents and their Social Security number. We need to get the tax returns back asap... but can't find out how to quickly find out ny daugthers Social security number, I know they issued one when we registered the birth at the US embassy in London soon after her birth but don't have any record of it.
MAny thanks
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return...daughters Social Security number

If your daughter was born in the UK then it is unlikely that she was issued a social security number since I don't believe that the US Consulate can do that. All they can do is have sent a form that you completed and signed to the SSA in the US and they in turn would have mailed you your daughter's social security number.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Contact the Social Security Administration.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by rachococo
I deperately need to get hold of my daughters social securoty number.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Please can you help, I have searched and searched and can't find any of the tax return threads (sorry I can't post this there, I know they are here somewhere!). I deperately need to get hold of my daughters social securoty number. She is 5 years old and has dual USA/UK citizenship with both passports. Me (UK) my husband (American ) and my daughter live in UK, but are applying for Marriage based visa for me so we can move to USA asap. My husband needs to file his last three year tax returns in USA even though all his income has been in the UK for the I864. For this they need dependents and their Social Security number. We need to get the tax returns back asap... but can't find out how to quickly find out ny daugthers Social security number, I know they issued one when we registered the birth at the US embassy in London soon after her birth but don't have any record of it.
MAny thanks
Hi:

You can go to the "ASC" section of the Embassy and tell them that you had applied for and obtained a SSN for your daughter but misplaced it. I do believe that they help you fill out the forms to request a duplicate card. Also, it is common to note the SSN on passport applications -- did you enter her number on her application?

Also, as a practical matter, if your husband's income is below the amount of the overseas resident income allowance, then he need not claim your daughter on the tax return. The number of dependents affects the amount of tax due -- and if you husband owes no tax in the first place, the dependents are meaningless.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Thanks for all the advice. I am sure I remember receiving a SSN number in the post but after 5 years and a number of house moves I can't locate it. I did think it may unnecessary to include our daughter on his tax returns. He has earned under £17,000 for each of the last three tax years and those earning were all in the UK, none at all in USA. They don't ask for dependants on the 2555 just on the 1080. I am tempted to complete new 1080 forms without showing any dependants....
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

sorry I did mean a 1040 rather than a 1080 in the previous post!!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice. I am sure I remember receiving a SSN number in the post but after 5 years and a number of house moves I can't locate it. I did think it may unnecessary to include our daughter on his tax returns. He has earned under £17,000 for each of the last three tax years and those earning were all in the UK, none at all in USA. They don't ask for dependants on the 2555 just on the 1080. I am tempted to complete new 1080 forms without showing any dependants....
It's not a question of necessary/unnecessary the way you put it. If your husband starts an income tax return, it has to be complete. You can't just 'un-exist' your child because you can't find her documentation.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's not a question of necessary/unnecessary the way you put it. If your husband starts an income tax return, it has to be complete. You can't just 'un-exist' your child because you can't find her documentation.
Hi:

Wrong. The 1040 asks for who is claimed as a dependent. OP indicates that he made 17K pounds earned in the UK. I won't say for sure, but if he claims the children -- his tax liability will be ZERO. If he does not claim the children, the tax liability will be ZERO.

As to the interest and penalties, they are computed on percentages of the tax that was due. In this case, with no tax due, it will be zero.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I see. thank you.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help. I am going to complete new 1040 forms and mail them first thing in the morning.!