Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Return Copies or Transcripts?

Tax Return Copies or Transcripts?

Old Aug 17th 2001, 9:44 pm
Deborah

Hi there...My name is Deborah and I am filing my K-1 Petition when my fiancee George
is here visiting from Bulgaria at the beginning of December. I can't find my copies
of my last 3 tax returns, so I phoned the IRS to request form 4506. This is the one
you use to order copies of your tax returns or for the transcripts of them. My
question is this...can I use official transcripts of my returns from the IRS or do I
have to use copies of the returns themselves? Each copy costs $23, but the
transcripts are free, and according to the IRS the info on them is taken directly
from the return itself and has all the same info. I would rather get the transcripts,
for obvious reasons, but I don't want any delays to my petition if I can help it. I
intend to have all the correct info the first time if possible. Does it matter which
I use? Thanks for any help with this!

Deborah

Old Aug 17th 2001, 10:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Save yourself the money and order them over the IRS 1-800 number ... they are free.

Rita
Old Aug 17th 2001, 11:24 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Deborah wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Some information for your consideration: http://www.usembassy.bg/visa/immigrant.html
You could go to Bulgaria and marry there and then file for his I-130 spouse visa
directly at the US consulate there, and he would be in the US more quickly than a
fiance visa, and would enter with full conditional resident status, ready to work and
travel. If this approach is interesting to you, read the link "DCF: which visa" at
Doc Steen's site (URL below).

It might be worth the trip to you, if you can spare a couple weeks off work to make
the trip and do the filing. It would save you a lot of distress after entry, as he
would not have to do anything with INS for 1 year and 9 months, and could work
immediately. Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Aug 17th 2001, 11:29 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Alvena Ferreira wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
An addendum: bulgaria does not have police certificate available, so he would not
have to get one, neither would he have to get any military records. In view of this,
there is a slight chance that he could actually be in the US in less than one month,
provided you have an uncomplicated casse. alvena

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 18th 2001, 2:14 am
Hotman54

File the I-134 for the K-1. Tax returns are not needed for this form. An original
employer letter on company letterhead. A bank statement showing 1 years deposits.
( I did not have this) Several original recent pay stubs showing that my salary
was indeed what the employer letter said it was. And, any other reasonable proof
of income.

Use the contractually binding I-864 for AOS later! You will need the tax returns for
the last 3 years for this document. The IRS will give you certified copies for free.
If there is an IRS office near you, you can just go get them, no appointment needed!

Jim