British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Return (Children Rejected) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-return-children-rejected-525140/)

tamhawk1969 Mar 28th 2008 6:30 pm

Tax Return (Children Rejected)

Guys,

Can anyone help?

We have received 3 letters from the state treasury rejecting our 3 children a ITIN.

We filled out the W7 forms as indicated and paid over the odds for a private CPA to ensure that the tax returns was done correctly and the documentation was right.

Can anyone offer any reasoning behind the rejection? I have given my CPA power of attorney to speak to the treasury on my behalf.

Since moving to the USA 10 months ago the the best advice on any issues has come from this site!!

Cheers, Tamhawk1969

Rete Mar 28th 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Tax Return (Children Rejected)

One reason for rejection would be if the children were eligible for social security numbers. Not knowing how you entered the US, I can't say if this is the case here.

Originally Posted by tamhawk1969 (Post 6124795)
Guys,

Can anyone help?

We have received 3 letters from the state treasury rejecting our 3 children a ITIN.

We filled out the W7 forms as indicated and paid over the odds for a private CPA to ensure that the tax returns was done correctly and the documentation was right.

Can anyone offer any reasoning behind the rejection? I have given my CPA power of attorney to speak to the treasury on my behalf.

Since moving to the USA 10 months ago the the best advice on any issues has come from this site!!

Cheers, Tamhawk1969

ian-mstm Mar 28th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by tamhawk1969 (Post 6124795)
We filled out the W7 forms as indicated...

They would only need to use a W7 if they were *not* eligible for SS#s. Like Rete, I believe this is the problem... they were rejected because they are eligible for SS#s.

Ian

MsElui Mar 28th 2008 8:02 pm

we hoping ours get sorted this tax return so im interested in teh answers to this one.

rew1000 Mar 28th 2008 9:17 pm

Looking back at your previous posts, it looks like they need ITINs not SSNs, but I'm confused by your reference to the state treasury. (ITINs are issued at the federal level)

One option that we used was to walk in to a Taxpayer Assistance Center (http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/index.html). They take a copy of the necessary ID documents to save you sending them off.

Is there nothing in the letter to give you a clue as to what the problem was?

tamhawk1969 Mar 28th 2008 9:58 pm

Hi

my mistake it was the federal treasury that sent the letters not the state. In fact we have received a check today for the full amount of state tax that we filed for.

I am here on a L1 A visa and my wife and children are on L2 visas. My wife and I have SSNs. But when we tried to get the kids SSNs we were told that we could not get SSNs for them becuase they require a authorisation to work? even though they are only children.

With this in mind I assumed that I would only need to complete the W7 to get the itin's and we would be fine.

tamhawk1969

Noorah101 Mar 28th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by tamhawk1969 (Post 6125471)
I am here on a L1 A visa and my wife and children are on L2 visas. My wife and I have SSNs. But when we tried to get the kids SSNs we were told that we could not get SSNs for them becuase they require a authorisation to work? even though they are only children.

Are the kids eligible to receive EAD's on an L2? If so, that's what you need to do. Apply for their EAD's, then apply for their SSN's. If they are eligible for a SSN (via EAD), they can't get an ITIN.

Rene

rew1000 Mar 28th 2008 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by tamhawk1969 (Post 6125471)
Hi

my mistake it was the federal treasury that sent the letters not the state. In fact we have received a check today for the full amount of state tax that we filed for.

With this in mind I assumed that I would only need to complete the W7 to get the itin's and we would be fine.

tamhawk1969

I think you're right - I don't see why you were rejected. Did you check the correct box to say why you were applying, and include notarized/certified copy of acceptable identity document(s) and attached the W-7 form to your 1040 form?

Did the letter just say "go away"?

I don't recall needing it, but perhaps you need an SSN denial letter? the W-7 notes say
"If the SSA will not issue you an SSN, a letter of denial must be
obtained and attached to your Form W-7. This applies whether you
are attaching your federal tax return or requesting an ITIN under one
of the exceptions."

meauxna Mar 28th 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6125488)
Are the kids eligible to receive EAD's on an L2? If so, that's what you need to do. Apply for their EAD's, then apply for their SSN's. If they are eligible for a SSN (via EAD), they can't get an ITIN.

Rene

No go.
L-2 spouses only may get an EAD.
L-2 minor children & other dependents may not.

Noorah101 Mar 28th 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6125534)
No go.
L-2 spouses only may get an EAD.
L-2 minor children & other dependents may not.

Oops, thanks meauxna! I thought all L-2's could get the EAD. Sorry! :)

Rene

jumping doris Mar 28th 2008 11:13 pm

We applied for ITIN's (myself and children) last January when we filed the OH's tax return.

We had an accountant do our taxes and she did all the paperwork for the ITIN. We had to provide copies of our passports and visas and they had to be notarized, which the accountant arranged.

We do have letters saying that we were not eligible for an SS# but we didn't give her those. We were never asked for them.

The ITIN numbers came through in May or June..took much longer than it says on the website.

kel.n.issy Apr 4th 2008 2:36 am

We had our three children and myself turned down intially for ITIN's because our CPA applied for them before they submitted our Tax returns.

From what I understand the ITIN request forms need to be submitted actually with the tax returns for your kids and spouse to be included on it - this worked when was filed together - however you dont actually receive the numbers personally for a few weeks after the tax return was submitted.

But our taxes all worked out as they should last yr. We didnt have to supply reasons or letters explaining why we dont have a SSN

Hope that makes sense

Issy