Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Return - advice

Tax Return - advice

Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return - advice

My understanding is that it doesn't matter.

Rene
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

TheNewYorker is an unknown quantity at this point

I highly recommend using a tax accountant if your situation is complex.

I'm speaking from experience - I'm an American (fiance is British), and screwed up what I thought would be a simple tax return a few years back. Luckily I didn't owe any money to the IRS when they caught it.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
.... Changing the subject, when filing jointly, does it make any difference to the final tax figures whether the husband or wife claims the dependents? I thought it's all lumped together in the return anyway so it didn't matter...?
Yup, it's all rolled up together into your "married filing jointly" tax return, as are any sole proprietorship businesses (incl LLCs and S corps) of either or both spouses, plus any joint partnerships they have without any other partners.

If you were, for some reason, filing separately then it might make a difference who claims the dependents.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 13th 2015 at 6:00 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:36 am
Just Joined

ScotinUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how complicated your taxes are but I have used Turbotax since we came to the US - you can either buy software or do it online. It asks you questions about your income and deductions and walks you through the whole process. It also has help functions which can answer your questions - I think it was around $60. It would certainly be cheaper than asking a CPA questions on your return.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I do use TT but it doesn't always explain calculations like that.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

To those using Turbo tax how do you manage any UK income? I still have property in the UK that we rent out as a holiday let. There is a calculation HR Block do related to depreciation etc.

Would TT be able to help with that part of my return? I used TaxCalc for my UK return and all was pretty simple.

Can't fault HR Block though as they made a mistake last year that meant I owed quite a bit extra that I paid. When the IRS caught up with me I claimed on the HR Block piece of mind insurance and they paid out.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Go to TurboTax.com, do a return in its entirety following all the walkthrough things they have. At the end, see what numbers come out. If the return you did uses the same forms and has the same refund/owed amount then send the one you did. If not, either file via TurboTax or amend your return based on the info you find. My guess is that although your return may be fine, you have missed things in your favor that would get you more refund or make you owe less.

The reason people pay to get them done is it saves time and can be more accurate. My return isn't complicated but the federal is still over 100 pages with all the forms and worksheets.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 9:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
Hi, we have just completed our tax return forms for 2014 - I wanted to do this myself so I could try to understand the system, so I read through all the relevant publications and stuff on the IRS website and have completed about 5 different forms plus the state tax return (2014 a more complex year than standard for us, as we have various relocation benefits from husbands company plus I need a ITIN).

To be sure I have done things correctly, and fully understand the various 'nuances' of the system, I have called various tax professionals asking if I could have a 1 or 2 hour meeting to ask very specific questions (I've made a list!)..... they have all refused.... they will do the return for me, but they won't answer any specific questions or look at what I've done (HR Block said that would be creating a competitor).

So my question is, do you think the IRS office would answer questions if I call in? Or will I just need to submit what I've done and hope it's right? I need to go to an IRS office anyway with a W7 form (so I can avoid having to post my passport and visa), so I'm thinking I might be able to pick someone's brains then?

I'm guessing being new to the system would be no excuse for getting anything wrong!
I called the IRS last week and they were immensely helpful. Explained what I didn't understand, told me which additional forms I would need, went through a Q&A with me, and after narrowing down my situation, told me how to fill out the two additional forms that I would need.

The hold time was about 30 minutes.

I see no reason not to try.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 2:42 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

To be sure I have done things correctly, and fully understand the various 'nuances' of the system, I have called various tax professionals asking if I could have a 1 or 2 hour meeting to ask very specific questions (I've made a list!)..... they have all refused.... they will do the return for me, but they won't answer any specific questions or look at what I've done (HR Block said that would be creating a competitor).

So my question is, do you think the IRS office would answer questions if I call in? Or will I just need to submit what I've done and hope it's right? I need to go to an IRS office anyway with a W7 form (so I can avoid having to post my passport and visa), so I'm thinking I might be able to pick someone's brains then?

I'm guessing being new to the system would be no excuse for getting anything wrong!
The IRS will answer questions, but you could also ask them here. The advice won't be from professionals, so there would be no guarantees, so it's sort of like asking the audience in "Who wants to be a Millionaire". If 90% agree it's probably the right answer.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The IRS will answer questions, but you could also ask them here. The advice won't be from professionals, so there would be no guarantees, so it's sort of like asking the audience in "Who wants to be a Millionaire". If 90% agree it's probably the right answer.
And the IRS website tells you not to phone them this year, because they have had such large budget cuts thisthat the IRS Commissioner expects to only answer 43% of all calls they receive.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I think I will just double-check everything I've done and then submit it. I don't really understand why more people don't file their own returns, instead of paying others to do it for them..... I know it's long-winded, but all the info does seem to be there (somewhere!) on the IRS website. Seems such a mad system (in terms of bureaucracy) compared to the UK!
The US is well-known for having one of the most complicated taxation systems in the World.

Any expat who really thinks it's that simple is probably doing something wrong, especially if they think that in their first year of filing.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
The US is well-known for having one of the most complicated taxation systems in the World.

Any expat who really thinks it's that simple is probably doing something wrong, especially if they think that in their first year of filing.
But for the average taxpayer?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

But for the average taxpayer?
Sure, for someone without foreign funds, stock investments, dual status, or children it's fairly simple, though that may also depend on your state tax situation. If you want to itemize, it is complicated.

We had a CPA do our taxes the first year I was here, in 2012. I then did our 2013 return, using TaxAct, plus the 2012 form as a template for the tricky items, plus plenty of internet research. Simple, it was not.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Owen778
Sure, for someone without foreign funds, stock investments, dual status, or children it's fairly simple, though that may also depend on your state tax situation. If you want to itemize, it is complicated.
Right - that's what I was getting act. For the Mitt Romney accountants, sure, it's tough. For most of the rest of us, it's not that difficult. Even with kids and even itemizing, but no foreign funds or investments. Last year I did mine in TurboTax parallel with an accountant and came out at roughly the same figure. Most of the difference was probably a chunk of foreign stuff carried over which I didn't try to put into TT. Yes, TT makes it relatively easy, but I was going through some of the forms it generates just checking for glaring errors, and most seems fairly straightforward. A bit of Googling here and there just to check a few things, comparison with last year's form as you say, and I did spot something on the CA returns that look a little strange.

Probably more by luck than anything but it looks like I'm only out $800 off the estimated taxes - in the owing sense unfortunately. What's even more unfortunate is that it seems the wife's W2s show a low tax payment for 2 jobs when both should have been taxed at the higher rate.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right - that's what I was getting act. For the Mitt Romney accountants, sure, it's tough. For most of the rest of us, it's not that difficult. Even with kids and even itemizing, but no foreign funds or investments. Last year I did mine in TurboTax parallel with an accountant and came out at roughly the same figure. Most of the difference was probably a chunk of foreign stuff carried over which I didn't try to put into TT. Yes, TT makes it relatively easy, but I was going through some of the forms it generates just checking for glaring errors, and most seems fairly straightforward. A bit of Googling here and there just to check a few things, comparison with last year's form as you say, and I did spot something on the CA returns that look a little strange.
For most people it's doable, but I'd argue that it will never be if you itemize. Off the top of my head, here are some easy mistakes to make:
- itemizing all mortgage payments, not just mortgage interest
- itemizing HOA fees
- itemizing vehicle registration when it does not depend on the value of the vehicle
- claiming property tax etc. due for that tax year, instead of the tax actually paid during the tax year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.