Reload this Page >

Tax Return Advice!

Tax Return Advice!

Old Dec 14th 2014, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

heresy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Return Advice!

Hi,

So I'm a full time student in the UK but I've spent this semester (Sept - Christmas) working as a research assistant in the States as part of a project. I'm also a dual citizen, but this is my first ever time earning money in the States...

I've been a small stipend (less than $6000 total) but I've been getting taxed about 20% total, maybe slightly more. I think I should have actually been exempt, but the people in the University office here didn't seem to think so... So I've been taxed a good amount and just want to make sure I get it all back!!

I've read the advice (here Taxes filing with the US IRS in London : British Expat Wiki) but I still have some questions. It seems everyone here is paying for websites to 'do' their tax returns for them. This is an alien concept to me, but I was considering using one of the sites for simplicity as I'm really busy and want to spend as little time as possible on getting my taxes returned!

Has anyone got any experience using TurboTax or FreeTaxUSA or any similar sites?! Are they worth paying for?

If you guys could help me out it would be awesome.

Cheers!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:31 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return Advice!

Turbo tax is worth it. If the stipend is your only income you won't have to pay any US tax as it's below the filing threshold. I assume you know that as a US citizen you are taxed by the US on your worldwide income and you must file taxes each year if you exceed the filing threshold. Also watch out for state taxes.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return Advice!

I use TaxAct, which is good, but more people here use Turbotax. Both have free versions for relatively simple returns. Taxact's free version provides more than that from Turbotax, and if you need to pay, it's cheaper. You can't use either free version if you need to do state taxes. I've never heard of "FreeTaxUSA". The other main company is H&R Block, but they don't have a great reputation here, though that may be because their brick-and-mortar tax offices in the USA are often bad at dealing with international taxes.