Tax Return

Old Sep 5th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Return

Hello,
I have completed my (paper) tax return and now need to send it off to HMRC. Does anyone one the address that it should be sent to?
Also, it asks for my address - do i put my address in USA or the c/o address they have for me in the UK?

I have tried emailing the HMRC, but no response
Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return

Originally Posted by newadventure
Hello,
I have completed my (paper) tax return and now need to send it off to HMRC. Does anyone one the address that it should be sent to?
Also, it asks for my address - do i put my address in USA or the c/o address they have for me in the UK?

Thanks
Sorry, that should be 'does anyone know the address the tax return should be sent to'? I am assuming we all send to the same address...
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, that should be 'does anyone know the address the tax return should be sent to'? I am assuming we all send to the same address...
Unfortunately, no, it seems they don't all go to the same address.

Here's two:

From GOV.UK:
HM Revenue & Customs
Bradford
BD98 1YY

https://www.gov.uk/pay-self-assessment-tax-bill

The address I use is:
HM Revenue & Customs
SELF ASSESSMENT
PO BOX 1000
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NE98 1WY

There is a telephone number for the last. You could always call and see what they advise:
0845 900 0444
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing what you can find in google http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/sa100.pdf
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest you contact the HMRC on +44 135 535 9022 (source).
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's 3 different addresses.

I agree with rpjs, call them. I know it could be costly, but trust me, HMRC TAX HELL is having the wrong office dealing with your return.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all, i will give them a call

RE: the google address, i did see that but the most recent correspondence was before i moved out here, so wasn't certain if it was still valid
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks
I would use your US address to avoid issues with residency. Did you file a P85 when you left the UK? Also if you are filing a UK SA form I assume that you have fulfilled your US tax requirements on any UK income you have and taken the appropriate UK tax credits on the SA form.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks nun.

I don't think i filled in a P85 as i fill in a SA Tax return anyway

Maybe i have got this wrong, but i thought i declared US and UK income on my US tax return and claimed back UK tax i had paid on UK income.

On my UK tax return i declare UK income only, but i am not aware of any tax credits. I have claimed UK personal allowance and that pretty much covers income anyway.

Am i missing something?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

thanks nun.

I don't think i filled in a P85 as i fill in a SA Tax return anyway

Maybe i have got this wrong, but i thought i declared US and UK income on my US tax return and claimed back UK tax i had paid on UK income.

On my UK tax return i declare UK income only, but i am not aware of any tax credits. I have claimed UK personal allowance and that pretty much covers income anyway.

Am i missing something?
The P95 will ensure that HMRC knows you are non-resident.

You have things a bit backwards. The US has the primary taxation authority over your worldwide income as you are a US resident, however, there will be some treaty specified minimums to be withheld by the UK on UK income. You need to use the treaty to work out what proportions go where. But if your UK income is low it might not be much of an issue.

FYI if you have UK income and accounts make sure you doe FBAR and FATCA if necessary and watch out for PFIC on things like UK unit trusts and other pooled investments. Ig you own any of those it would be best to sell them.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for the heads up.
Have done the FBAR, will check if i should have done a FATCA as well. I got rid of all unit trusts etc before coming over, so that is not an issue.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:24 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Ok, thanks for the heads up.
Have done the FBAR, will check if i should have done a FATCA as well. I got rid of all unit trusts etc before coming over, so that is not an issue.
Well done, a lot of folks don't clean up their foreign Investments before cOming to the US
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, i got a response from my email to HMRC. Another address to add to the collection:

HMRC PAYE and Self Assessment
Saxon House,
1 Causeway,
Leicester,
LE1 4AA

Time to give them a call...
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

and the address from the call is
HMRC
Self Assessment
PO Box 4000
Cardiff
CF14 8HR

I did give my NI number, and the guy on the end of the phone was very confident that this is the correct address for me. Whether it is the right address for everyone is a different matter