British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-return-794001/)

McZaki Apr 15th 2013 5:16 am

Tax return

Folks,
As the regulars may know that I moved to California on 22 March 2013, the question is do I need to do the tax return? I've just read somewhere that the deadline was 15th April for the return or request for extension- have I messed up- and what should I do now?

On a separate note, I applied for the SSN last week on Friday - very 'interesting' experience, first I missed my number and was pushed to take another number the call was mainly in Chinese or Japanese? the English bit was unnoticeable and then they repeatedly called my name and I sat there like a numpty, I only realized that it must be me as all others were looking at each other - honestly, I don't blame them, at times even I can't pronounce my name correctly and for the Chinese folks/accent it's going to be a challenge. They should invest in the digital queue thing like the one in the embassy/consulate anyway I got a letter from them saying they will issue the SSN within 8weeks as they need to confirm my immigration status- is this a standard process?

lansbury Apr 15th 2013 5:26 am

Re: Tax return

The tax return due April 15 is for income in the Jan - Dec 2012 tax year. For 2013 the tax return is due in 2014.

McZaki Apr 15th 2013 5:32 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10659335)
The tax return due April 15 is for income in the Jan - Dec 2012 tax year. For 2013 the tax return is due in 2014.

Many thanks for the clarification - as you may have noticed the level of my understanding regarding this piece :o

MMcD Apr 15th 2013 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10659335)

....by which time you'll practically be a "native" - and can advise me;)

Meanwhile - scratch taxes off your list of things to stress about - as I said in another thread - do try to enjoy yourselves - you've EARNED IT!

HPLow Apr 15th 2013 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by McZaki (Post 10659316)
Folks,
I got a letter from them saying they will issue the SSN within 8weeks as they need to confirm my immigration status- is this a standard process?

It is normal procedure to check your immigration status before issung the SSn no. Thats the normal time window but in usually comes through in less than half that time.

Bob Apr 15th 2013 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by McZaki (Post 10659316)
...I got a letter from them saying they will issue the SSN within 8weeks as they need to confirm my immigration status- is this a standard process?

As you've waited more than 10 days before applying, you should be in the SAVE system, so chances are, you can go back the next day and get the actual number and the card will usually arrive in the mail within a couple of weeks.

If you're not in the SAVE system and they have to manually verify you, then it is that that takes up to 6 weeks to do.

penguinsix Apr 16th 2013 2:49 am

Since you are worrying about things to be done in the first month, I should note that the 62-day clock on getting health insurance started with your arrival in the USA. You need to have coverage before that date or you may find yourself in a pre-existing condition situation or a gap in coverage of a few months.