Wikiposts

tax return

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax return

On the subject of not filing a return. I would question the long term logic of not filing one, especially if you are not a US citizen. I just look back at the number of times I've had to supply x years worth of tax returns to prove things and if you don't file you don't have one. You may not be required to but, at least to me, it makes sense to actually file one to have that as a piece of documentation for future use.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: tax return

Originally Posted by trex21
guys, dbj1000 really helpful advice. cheers.

I was told I had to pay fed / state tax as L is a working visa.
and I don't do charity/don't own any business.
then what tax refund will i get ?
is it that employers don't always deduct the correct amounts ?
I'm also paying medicare thing though I got private medical covered.
Can I not pay for that ?

I'll need an accountant.
cheerio
Go to irs.gov, and download publication 501, which should provide you with some help.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:46 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
On the subject of not filing a return. I would question the long term logic of not filing one, especially if you are not a US citizen. I just look back at the number of times I've had to supply x years worth of tax returns to prove things and if you don't file you don't have one. You may not be required to but, at least to me, it makes sense to actually file one to have that as a piece of documentation for future use.
That was exactly my thinking - BUT didnt know how to file a blank one. When we find an accountant for next year I may asked them about filing a blank one retrospectively.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trex21
thanks guys,
anyone know about W4 form. I got married recently and she (L2) isn't working yet.
Trex, if you're married, you have to fill out a new W4 that says you're married - you don't have any choice. When changing to married you do have 2 choices though: you can select either 'married' or 'married but withhold at the higher single rate.' If you select 'married' then less taxes will come out of your paycheck, but depending deductions, allowances, etc, you could wind up owing taxes because enough wasn't withhold. If you select 'married but w/hold at higher single rate', more taxes will be removed from your check, and depending on your tax situation, you could get a refund.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
That is an often repeated myth but it isn't true.

You do not have to file if your income is below certain limits and there are no other special circumstances that would require you to file.

Quoting the IRS web site:

See Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return? on the IRS web site for details.
True, but it would be dumb not to if you've got any greencard or other visa issues on the cards...plus that threshold is a tad low isn't it?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Must be an Ohio ( or east coast thing) as I never encountered that on the west coast. Just state and federal, nothing local for income.
Depends where you live, but plenty of cities across the country do it...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sambapink
Cheers.. I'm going to be that moron working at HR Block next year
ouch...well to be fair, they don't have high requirements
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
ouch...well to be fair, they don't have high requirements
I got my taxes done by two different independent CPA's over the past 3 years. After the last one did such a sloppy job, I went to H&R Block to have them look over what he had done. H&R did a great job of finding his mistake and also pointing out things I can prepare for in 2008 to have a better return. I'll be using them this year for sure.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I got my taxes done by two different independent CPA's over the past 3 years. After the last one did such a sloppy job, I went to H&R Block to have them look over what he had done. H&R did a great job of finding his mistake and also pointing out things I can prepare for in 2008 to have a better return. I'll be using them this year for sure.

Rene
depends who you see there and who does the work, it's not like they require people to be proper accountant, but only go through a basic course...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:32 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Cheers.. I'm going to be that moron working at HR Block next year
Then I hope you set an example for the morons you'll be working with at H&R Block, and do a competent, honest job. Perhaps one of your fellow employees will learn by example, and you'll have turned one moron into a useful person.

Given that you're apparently a coherent, rational person, I'll give you one season of clicking check-boxes in the H&R Block tax prep software for people who don't know any better before you go and find a real tax prep office to work for!