Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Return 2009 Help!!

Tax Return 2009 Help!!

Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

cheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nicecheeseface is just really nice
Default Tax Return 2009 Help!!

I am in desperate need for help regarding my 2009 tax return. I was unaware of having to make a tax return and now have received a letter saying I need to make one. I am a British Citizen living in England now. I graduated from University in 2008 and worked on an OPT agreement for 1 year after on my F-1 Visa. I worked at 4 places and paid all the tax I believe I was meant to except for the place I worked the longest, which was the University I graduated from. However, for some reason they did not tax me anything! I asked them about this at the time and they said I did not have to pay tax.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me:
Why did I have to pay tax at the 3 other jobs?
Is there a tax treaty saying I should not have paid tax?
Should I have paid tax and how do I go about making this right?
If I have not paid tax I should of, will this affect any future application to live in the States with my American wife?

I am very thankful for any advice anyone can give.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return 2009 Help!!

If you worked in the US and have state, federal, etc. taxes withheld from your pay, you must file a US tax return. The exception is if you made under a certain amount then a tax return is not required.

However, if you paid taxes, you should file so that you can get any refund that is due you.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeseface
I am in desperate need for help regarding my 2009 tax return. I was unaware of having to make a tax return and now have received a letter saying I need to make one. I am a British Citizen living in England now. I graduated from University in 2008 and worked on an OPT agreement for 1 year after on my F-1 Visa. I worked at 4 places and paid all the tax I believe I was meant to except for the place I worked the longest, which was the University I graduated from. However, for some reason they did not tax me anything! I asked them about this at the time and they said I did not have to pay tax.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me:
Why did I have to pay tax at the 3 other jobs?
Is there a tax treaty saying I should not have paid tax?
Should I have paid tax and how do I go about making this right?
If I have not paid tax I should of, will this affect any future application to live in the States with my American wife?

I am very thankful for any advice anyone can give.
I always think of my tax return as my initial opening offer to IRS. Heed this advice and you won't go far wrong.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, you are required to file a tax return if you make above a certain amount even if all or part of your earnings are exempt. Typically between 1-3 years after the required filing date, the IRS cross checks documents (w2s, 1099s, etc.) to determine if income was reported and if not, they send a notice.

There is a tax treaty for J1 visa holders that exempts UK visa holders from paying taxes for 2 years.

Not filing is not a big deal. Just gather your documents (if you can't find them, contact your previous employers) and file form 1040NR-EZ. Since your university income should be tax exempt, it is likely that you will get a tax refund and should have received Form 1042-S from the university instead of a w2.