Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax report filing, where to file if couple works in two different states?

Tax report filing, where to file if couple works in two different states?

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of
Default Tax report filing, where to file if couple works in two different states?

I have a question about filing tax report.
How does it work, couple works in two different states, but they would like to file jointly their tax return. How can they do that? Husband works in WV and wife works in CA, for IRS purposes they use CA address (they consider CA address as their perm address).
What state tax do they need to file, since different states have different %, would that be CA or WV? It is just confusing how does it work.
Any output would be helpful,
thanks a lot.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax report filing, where to file if couple works in two different states?

Originally Posted by curiousmelon
What state tax do they need to file, since different states have different %, would that be CA or WV? It is just confusing how does it work.
I say file in the state with the lower tax rate! It'll make no difference to USCIS since their only tax interest is your federal return.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax report filing, where to file if couple works in two different states?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I say file in the state with the lower tax rate! It'll make no difference to USCIS since their only tax interest is your federal return.

Ian

Don't know if that would work. Federal can be filed jointly if advantageous. But if the state you are living and working in has a state and/or city tax you have to file in that state. Rather than ask a question such as this in an immigration forum, why not contact a tax accountant and get their opinion on how to handle a complex issue like this.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't know if that would work. Federal can be filed jointly if advantageous. But if the state you are living and working in has a state and/or city tax you have to file in that state. Rather than ask a question such as this in an immigration forum, why not contact a tax accountant and get their opinion on how to handle a complex issue like this.

I concur with the idea of checking with a CPA. I would think that domicile plays a role in what state one remits tax payments to. It seems I've seen mention of out-of-state or non-resident tax returns and computing how much time was spent in the state etc.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:45 am
Blank

Simple. By law you have to file The Federal and Both States Tax Returns.

"curiousmelon" <member45935@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > I have a question about filing tax report.
    > How does it work, couple works in two different states, but they would
    > like to file jointly their tax return. How can they do that? Husband
    > works in WV and wife works in CA, for IRS purposes they use CA address
    > (they consider CA address as their perm address).
    > What state tax do they need to file, since different states have
    > different %, would that be CA or WV? It is just confusing how does it
    > work.
    > Any output would be helpful,
    > thanks a lot.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bionomique
I concur with the idea of checking with a CPA. I would think that domicile plays a role in what state one remits tax payments to. It seems I've seen mention of out-of-state or non-resident tax returns and computing how much time was spent in the state etc.
Thank you, what is CPA?
I read that Rene's husband works in different state, how do you guys file, Rene?
thanks
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, what is CPA?
I read that Rene's husband works in different state, how do you guys file, Rene?
thanks
Hi curiousmelon,

CPA = Certified Public Accountant.

I hire a CPA to do my taxes, he's been doing mine for years. You are right, I work in Arizona, and my alien husband is self-employed and works mostly in California, although he also does some work in Arizona. Our permanent residence together is in Arizona.

We filed our 2004 federal taxes as married filing jointly. We filed an Arizona State tax return. Which state the income was earned in didn't seem to matter. All the business related expenses he incurred in California were listed as deductions on our taxes (but I don't know if that's a federal or state thing, to be honest).

So I guess the answer to ours is, we filed the state tax in the state where we live permanently.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you,
Here is what I have found out:

Couple needs to file for Federal Tax "married, filing jointly" from
the state they consider their perm state, since it is Federal it doesnt matter.
But for the State tax, each will need to file "married, filing separately", since the tax rate varies.
Does it make any sense?
Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi curiousmelon,

CPA = Certified Public Accountant.

I hire a CPA to do my taxes, he's been doing mine for years. You are right, I work in Arizona, and my alien husband is self-employed and works mostly in California, although he also does some work in Arizona. Our permanent residence together is in Arizona.

We filed our 2004 federal taxes as married filing jointly. We filed an Arizona State tax return. Which state the income was earned in didn't seem to matter. All the business related expenses he incurred in California were listed as deductions on our taxes (but I don't know if that's a federal or state thing, to be honest).

So I guess the answer to ours is, we filed the state tax in the state where we live permanently.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you,
Here is what I have found out:

Couple needs to file for Federal Tax "married, filing jointly" from
the state they consider their perm state, since it is Federal it doesnt matter.
But for the State tax, each will need to file "married, filing separately", since the tax rate varies.
Does it make any sense?
I'm not a tax person by any means....but that's not what we did, perhaps because my husband is self-employed here in Arizona, and just happens to travel to California to do some work. He did not receive a "paycheck" from California with state tax withheld.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 4th 2006 at 3:15 pm.