British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax refund check sent to UK address - how to deposit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-refund-check-sent-uk-address-how-deposit-924075/)

dbr84 Apr 11th 2019 10:03 pm

Tax refund check sent to UK address - how to deposit?

My tax refund was sent to my UK address. The check has my UK address on the front.

Can I cash this at my US bank (despite it having a UK address printed)?

Or should I cash this at my UK bank (will they accept a US check?)

Many thanks for any info

Pulaski Apr 11th 2019 10:17 pm

Re: Tax refund check sent to UK address - how to deposit?

A British bank will take it and collect it for you, but undoubtedly will utterly screw you with fees and a crappy exchange rate.

It is highly unlikely that your US bank will pay any attention to the address, so long as your name matches and you are an established customer. Checks in the US (and UK) are processed by machines whenever possible, so it is unlikely that the check would even be looked at by an actual human being.

I am not sure why you would "cash" it in either country, I presume you mean "deposit" it. Walking into a bank and asking to receive cash for a check, especially a tax refund check, is one sure way to draw attention to yourself and have the check scrutinized by the teller and/or flagged for further investigation. Even if you want cash, I would recommend depositing it and drawing the cash later, after the funds have cleared, which would typically be the next business day.

dbr84 Apr 11th 2019 10:19 pm

Yeah sorry, meant deposit.

Sounds like the best bet is to try and do it via my US bank then, didnt know if they would care about them printing the address.

Pulaski Apr 11th 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dbr84 (Post 12669416)
…. Sounds like the best bet is to try and do it via my US bank then, didnt know if they would care about them printing the address.

The worst that could happen is your bank asks you for evidence that that is your address, but I would be astounded if they even notice, or even look at the check other than the amount.

Hotscot Apr 11th 2019 11:18 pm

Deposit it in the ATM

Pulaski Apr 12th 2019 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12669442)
Deposit it in the ATM

Good advice. :nod: …. Especially if it is an ATM that scans the check directly, rather than using an envelope and consigning the deposit for manual processing.

kevntrace Apr 12th 2019 6:22 am

And direct deposit into your US bank account is a really good idea for future tax refunds. That's what I do.

durham_lad Apr 12th 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by kevntrace (Post 12669514)
And direct deposit into your US bank account is a really good idea for future tax refunds. That's what I do.

+1

I can’t remember the last time I received a physical check from the IRS. The first year living here in the UK the Louisiana IRS sent me a physical check for my refund. I used mobile check deposit to put it into my US bank.

dj6372 Apr 13th 2019 12:22 pm

Unless I'm missing something obvious, can you just scan it on your US Bank app? As most people say the address could be Timbuktu, we just deposited an IRS check with our SoCal address still on it.

Pulaski Apr 13th 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12669861)

+2

I can’t remember the last time I received a physical check from the IRS. ....

Me neither, it was at least six years ago.