British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Refund (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-refund-656660/)

Deedee13 Feb 25th 2010 2:01 pm

Tax Refund

ok we did ours and getting a refund.. thank god. I claim 0 and 0 on my taxes with 2 kids so its nice at the end of the year. Rather have a lump sum rather than dribs and drabs.... .....

Jerseygirl Feb 25th 2010 2:25 pm

Re: Tax Refund

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 8374465)
ok we did ours and getting a refund.. thank god. I claim 0 and 0 on my taxes with 2 kids so its nice at the end of the year. Rather have a lump sum rather than dribs and drabs.... .....

Don't even mention taxes. My husband turns into the Gestapo at this time of year...he insists on accuracy down to the last cent.:mad:

chartreuse Feb 25th 2010 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8374524)
Don't even mention taxes. My husband turns into the Gestapo at this time of year...he insists on accuracy down to the last cent.:mad:

I do too - I don't want to get deported for defrauding the Feds.:eek:

Thing is, SWMBO has a very casual attitude towards it all, which means I end up doing the returns. I've been doing them for years, because, in the year we got married, I worked out that if I elected to be taxed as a "non-resident resident alien" we could use the extra set of allowances to claw back all the tax she'd paid in the partial year before moving to England.

This year is going to be a nightmare. I'm going to itemise everything, 'cos I reckon I might be able to show a big enough net operating loss for 2009 to carry a non-trivial amount forward to 2010.

Jerseygirl Feb 25th 2010 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8374551)
I do too - I don't want to get deported for defrauding the Feds.:eek:

Thing is, SWMBO has a very casual attitude towards it all, which means I end up doing the returns. I've been doing them for years, because, in the year we got married, I worked out that if I elected to be taxed as a "non-resident resident alien" we could use the extra set of allowances to claw back all the tax she'd paid in the partial year before moving to England.

This year is going to be a nightmare. I'm going to itemise everything, 'cos I reckon I might be able to show a big enough net operating loss for 2009 to carry a non-trivial amount forward to 2010.

He drives me nuts every year. Hubby doesn't even do the returns...our accountant does...gawd knows what he'd be like if he did them.:eek:

Englishtart Feb 25th 2010 3:01 pm

In previous years we have either had the base tax guys or H&R block do ours, (although last yr a neighbour did them and we ended up owing over $200!!)

Apart from last year, we have never owed anything, hubby always claims 0/0, so pays a higher tax each payday. This year we decided to try using an online tax site and we did our own, because hubby did a tax free deployment last year, but elected to still clain 0/0, we got a very nice refund, from fed' and CO taxes, we do have to pay IL taxes, but not a big deal.:thumbup:

chartreuse Feb 25th 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8374570)
He drives me nuts every year. Hubby doesn't even do the returns...our accountant does...gawd knows what he'd be like if he did them.:eek:

He'd probably be like me - grumpy, stressed and you wouldn't be allowed to turn the telly on. ;)

Jerseygirl Feb 25th 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8374602)
In previous years we have either had the base tax guys or H&R block do ours, (although last yr a neighbour did them and we ended up owing over $200!!)

Apart from last year, we have never owed anything, hubby always claims 0/0, so pays a higher tax each payday. This year we decided to try using an online tax site and we did our own, because hubby did a tax free deployment last year, but elected to still clain 0/0, we got a very nice refund, from fed' and CO taxes, we do have to pay IL taxes, but not a big deal.:thumbup:

H&R :eek:

Englishtart Feb 25th 2010 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8374631)
H&R :eek:

I know, I think they did them for two years and then we realised we were paying money for old rope!!:frown:

robin1234 Feb 25th 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8374570)

I love doing taxes. It reminds me the world is absurd.

Do I need to fill out Form 1116 for the Foreign Tax Credit?

Not if (Line 47, exception 5b..) all of my foreign taxes ".. were paid to countries recognized by the United states and that do not support terrorism."

Let me see, my brokerage reports that I paid $13.22 in foreign taxes to "various countries." Now, do any of these "various countries" support terrorism? Etc. etc.

celticgrid Feb 25th 2010 3:47 pm

Tax year 2009 was my first full US tax year. After doing IOM taxes for the last 11 years, with the full form there being a single sheet of A4 paper, I resorted to Turbotax and was pleasantly surprised. Done and dusted. Federal refund check already banked, NY state refund awaited.

And I'm fairly sure I entered everything, erring on the side of caution and not claiming a couple of possibly dodgy deductions.

I could clearly adjust my numbers to get a bit more each paycheck but prefer a little bonus once a year :)

robin1234 Feb 25th 2010 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 8374713)
Tax year 2009 was my first full US tax year. After doing IOM taxes for the last 11 years, with the full form there being a single sheet of A4 paper, I resorted to Turbotax and was pleasantly surprised. Done and dusted. Federal refund check already banked, NY state refund awaited.

And I'm fairly sure I entered everything, erring on the side of caution and not claiming a couple of possibly dodgy deductions.

I could clearly adjust my numbers to get a bit more each paycheck but prefer a little bonus once a year :)

So you lived in the IoM? I've always wanted to visit; it looks like there is some nice hill-walking there.

celticgrid Feb 25th 2010 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8374811)
So you lived in the IoM? I've always wanted to visit; it looks like there is some nice hill-walking there.

It has a lot to offer, including some great hill-walking opportunities. And including a very friendly tax return form!

It also has a lot that it doesn't offer, hence the move to the US...

Englishtart Feb 25th 2010 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 8374841)
It has a lot to offer, including some great hill-walking opportunities. And including a very friendly tax return form!

It also has a lot that it doesn't offer, hence the move to the US...

I have family that live in Onchan, used to visit at least once a year before I got married, hubby always wanted to go visit, but we never got around too it. The family over there would come to the mainland when TT was on, so we would go use their place...loved it there:wub:

celticgrid Feb 25th 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8374930)
I have family that live in Onchan, used to visit at least once a year before I got married, hubby always wanted to go visit, but we never got around too it. The family over there would come to the mainland when TT was on, so we would go use their place...loved it there:wub:

We used to try and flee TT each year. Managed it most years. For that fortnight each year it is love it or hate it time on the island. TT is just like Marmite in that respect.

Hmmmm. Turn a Marmite jar upside down and it is sort of shaped like a motorcycle helmet.... :eek:

robin1234 Feb 25th 2010 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 8374963)
We used to try and flee TT each year. Managed it most years. For that fortnight each year it is love it or hate it time on the island. TT is just like Marmite in that respect.

Hmmmm. Turn a Marmite jar upside down and it is sort of shaped like a motorcycle helmet.... :eek:

But the contents of a marmite jar taste even worse than human brains (I'm assuming.)