British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Rebate after emigrating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-rebate-after-emigrating-694314/)

SuperOwls Nov 21st 2010 3:40 pm

Tax Rebate after emigrating

Hi all,

Looking for advice on getting a Tax rebate. I moved to FL in August this year. I filled out the P85 form but did not include my P45 as i hadnt received it from my employer yet. I have this now and after using a tax rebate calculator online i believe I am due a rebate of nearly £6k! Would be nice to get this in time for Xmas.

I have seen a few places online who assist you in this process but they want anywhere between 14 - 19% commission.

I would rather do it myself and keep it all though obviously.

Has anyone got any experience in doing this and if so can they please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

BritishGuy36 Nov 22nd 2010 12:25 am

Re: Tax Rebate after emigrating

Originally Posted by SuperOwls (Post 8995036)
Hi all,

Looking for advice on getting a Tax rebate. I moved to FL in August this year. I filled out the P85 form but did not include my P45 as i hadnt received it from my employer yet. I have this now and after using a tax rebate calculator online i believe I am due a rebate of nearly £6k! Would be nice to get this in time for Xmas.

I have seen a few places online who assist you in this process but they want anywhere between 14 - 19% commission.

Has anyone got any experience in doing this and if so can they please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

I had my P45 at the time of filing the P85, and my tax rebate was credited to my UK bank account within two weeks of posting it in. If you still have a bank account over there you could contact the IR and tell them you have your P45 now.

Then you'd lose almost nothing by using ukforex or similar to get the cash over here.

Peter Newton Nov 24th 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Tax Rebate after emigrating

Originally Posted by SuperOwls (Post 8995036)
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Just write to the tax office where you filed your P85 and explain the situation. Enclose the P45 copy, and a copy of the original P85. You should then be good to go!