Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax question: moving allowance

Tax question: moving allowance

Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax question: moving allowance

My accountant said I can claim certain moving allowances for the upcoming tax return. However, this is a little unusual and he didn't think I could claim for the wife and kids. But I'm not sure I agree....

Back in March the four of us flew from UK, where we were living, to the Philippines. I returned back to the UK a few days later alone to finish packing. A few weeks after that I moved to the US alone. Then, in May, I flew alone from the US to the Philippines for a few days, returning to the US with the wife and kids in tow this time.

It's fairly clear I wouldn't be able to claim for the UK to the Philippines trip. But it's not so clear whether I could include the wife and kids' plane tickets from the Philippines to the US, and even less clear whether I could claim for my trip from the US->Philippines->US. They would not have been able to travel without my help due to baggage and the age of the kids.

Any opinions appreciated.