Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax question

Tax question

Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tim Dart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax question

Some brief background:- I moved back to the UK in December 2011 and did some freelance Graphic Design / Art direction work with a company I used to work for in Moncton Canada in 2012 from here in the UK. I have registered myself as self employed with the HMRC.

My question is I was going to be taxing my earnings for the 2012 period in the UK but I was sent my t4 from Canada today for that period as well. I know it's tax time in Canada right now and they normally do that anyway. Do I just ignore the T4 and continue as I'm doing already?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to upset Revenue Canada by doing that. I haven't made my mind up yet which side of the Atlantic I want to be on. So I dont want to cut all ties with Canada just yet. I'm presuming if I went back to Canada I would just inform them that the 2012 tax period was taxed in the uk?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:39 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but you might find some help in this link.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4131/t4131-e.html

We left Canada, part way through 2012, so I think we might have to get some professional help to do our tax returns for 2012. Good luck.