Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Question

Tax Question

Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Question

I have just found out that I've been left a rather substantial amount in my grandparents will. Because of the amount it is being paid into my UK account. Does anyone know what issues are involved with transferring it over and reporting it? It will have had the UK tax paid on it as part of the and I would really love not to have to pay taxes on it it as that would suck!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:03 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Question

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I have just found out that I've been left a rather substantial amount in my grandparents will. Because of the amount it is being paid into my UK account. Does anyone know what issues are involved with transferring it over and reporting it? It will have had the UK tax paid on it as part of the and I would really love not to have to pay taxes on it it as that would suck!
HSBC Luxembourg
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Question

I don't believe this will be considered taxable income. From IRS Publication 525:

Gifts and inheritances. Generally, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income. However, if property you receive this way later produces income such as interest, dividends, or rents, that income is taxable to you. If property is given to a trust and the income from it is paid, credited, or distributed to you, that income is also taxable to you. If the gift, bequest, or inheritance is the income from the property, that income is taxable to you.

For a substantial amount, though, you'd better contact a professional to be sure. Do you and the missus have wills, powers of atty, etc? If not, this would be a perfect time to visit a lawyer who specializes in estate/tax planning.