Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Qu. ITINS and tax submission

Tax Qu. ITINS and tax submission

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:42 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Qu. ITINS and tax submission

The cruddy accountancy firm my husbands company paid for took so long to do our accounts that we still have not finalised.

We did actualy send of the forms and taxes due some time in July (cheque has been cashed) - but we have since had a letter with our first attempt at getting the kids ITINS rejected (forms submitted with returns).

The accountancy firm is following that up - but I wanted to ask - Will the tax return remain 'unfinalised' until the ITIN issue is sorted? (Ie until the tax people are happy we can claim whatever we are trying to claim for the kids as we have ITINS? )

Also, once we get the ITINS and they are happy will we get some kind of confirmation from the federal tax people that it is finalised?
and lastly If we were eligible for the tax cheque thing from Bush will it just arrive some time after the tax is finalised or do we need to apply for it? (I know we wont get it for kids withoutr ssn's).

Last edited by MsElui; Sep 2nd 2008 at 1:45 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Qu. ITINS and tax submission

Originally Posted by MsElui
The cruddy accountancy firm my husbands company paid for took so long to do our accounts that we still have not finalised.

We did actualy send of the forms and taxes due some time in July (cheque has been cashed) - but we have since had a letter with our first attempt at getting the kids ITINS rejected (forms submitted with returns).

The accountancy firm is following that up - but I wanted to ask - Will the tax return remain 'unfinalised' until the ITIN issue is sorted? (Ie until the tax people are happy we can claim whatever we are trying to claim for the kids as we have ITINS? )

Also, once we get the ITINS and they are happy will we get some kind of confirmation from the federal tax people that it is finalised?
and lastly If we were eligible for the tax cheque thing from Bush will it just arrive some time after the tax is finalised or do we need to apply for it? (I know we wont get it for kids withoutr ssn's).
Normally, you don't hear anything from the IRS. If a refund is due you receive a check or direct deposit of the funds. If you owe, they cash the check and that's the end of it. I don't know if you should expect any contact from them in your case, but it wouldn't surprise me if you heard nothing.

AFAIK the stimulus checks were sent automatically, you didn't have to "apply". I don't know if they are still sending them. If not, you will be able to apply a credit on next year's return (at least that's my understanding).