British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Proffesionals? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-proffesionals-703937/)

cwooloff Feb 5th 2011 7:08 pm

Tax Proffesionals?

Hi All,

Have had a look through the posts pertaining to Tax and many people recommend using a Tax proffesional for the first year of filling since moving to the US on a greencard.

Sadly none of the HR block or small private offices around where I live (western PA) are comfortable completing the return.

Therefore, I think I will be turning to the .com companies - taxback.com etc...is this a good idea or can any one recommend someone that they have used in the past.

Cheers

Carl

sir_eccles Feb 5th 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Tax Proffesionals?

HR Block are not tax professionals. Neither are any of the .com companies.

A tax professional has CPA after their names. Get a personal recommendation from friends or family.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 5th 2011 7:26 pm

I'd ask around for a good CPA, we had to get a new one this year as ours died over last summer, so we'll see how good the new lady is I hate change.

Bob Feb 5th 2011 9:45 pm

Peter Newton, on this forum has gotten a lot of recommendations and is a very nice chap. He's in NY though, but he might be worth getting in touch with.

MsElui Feb 6th 2011 4:33 am

i asked my local friends and one was recommended. He did a good job last year and is doing a good job this year - and ive been able to ask him about other tax stuff that is new to me like hiring a nanny for example. Ive never met the bloke- we do all our emails by phone and email- so the CPA you find does not NEED to be local.

cwooloff Feb 8th 2011 1:17 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9155541)
i asked my local friends and one was recommended. He did a good job last year and is doing a good job this year - and ive been able to ask him about other tax stuff that is new to me like hiring a nanny for example. Ive never met the bloke- we do all our emails by phone and email- so the CPA you find does not NEED to be local.

I would ask for there details but I assume they are based in Ohio and I should probably use a PA based CPA - I have I assumed correctly.

MsElui Feb 8th 2011 1:35 am

yes - mine were in Ohio. The guy recommended in a thread above (P Newton) - does work all over the country i believe.

cwooloff Feb 8th 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9160439)
yes - mine were in Ohio. The guy recommended in a thread above (P Newton) - does work all over the country i believe.

Thanks MsElui, can I ask the name of your person in Ohio - might be worth giving them a call

MsElui Feb 8th 2011 2:29 am

details sent in a PM.

penguinbar Feb 8th 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9154964)
Peter Newton, on this forum has gotten a lot of recommendations and is a very nice chap. He's in NY though, but he might be worth getting in touch with.

Agreed. I use Pete for my taxes. You don't have to be in New York to use him. www.doug-tax.com.