Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Old Feb 10th 2021, 4:39 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

I have been waiting for 3 weeks for Turbotax to make IRS Form 8938 available. They keep moving the availability date right. So today I tried H&R Block, because they said that it was up and running. When I got to the part in my 1040 where I basically needed 8938 they said that they couldn't actually file it on line with my 1040.

Has anyone actually managed to file on-line that had to submit an 8938, and if so, what software did you use?

Cheers,

Andrew
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 4:47 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,941
MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by asjwalsh View Post
I have been waiting for 3 weeks for Turbotax to make IRS Form 8938 available. They keep moving the availability date right. So today I tried H&R Block, because they said that it was up and running. When I got to the part in my 1040 where I basically needed 8938 they said that they couldn't actually file it on line with my 1040.

Has anyone actually managed to file on-line that had to submit an 8938, and if so, what software did you use?

Cheers,

Andrew
I have e-filed using H&R Block DeLuxe software, which includes Form 8938, for several years, with no problems. I have completed my 2020 return and 8938 is up and running.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Feb 10th 2021 at 4:50 pm.
MidAtlantic is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:28 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
I have e-filed using H&R Block DeLuxe software, which includes Form 8938, for several years, with no problems. I have completed my 2020 return and 8938 is up and running.
And you were actually able to enter all the 8938 days into their form on line? I’m pretty sure i was using the deluxe software and it told me 8938 had to be filled in separately and my 1040 and 8939 physically sent to the irs.
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:30 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 447
Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

TurboTax is aiming to have Form 8938 available by Feb 18th so about a week to wait. See here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/fo...ducts/00/26224

Incidentally the IRS isn't open for filing until the 12th so there's no rush anyway!
Olly_ is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:48 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by Olly_ View Post
TurboTax is aiming to have Form 8938 available by Feb 18th so about a week to wait. See here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/fo...ducts/00/26224

Incidentally the IRS isn't open for filing until the 12th so there's no rush anyway!
I read that thread on the website. That’s the problem. They were aiming on having it available on Jan 27th, then the 31st, then Feb 2, 4, 11, and now the 18th. I suspect they may never have it available.
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:51 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,941
MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by asjwalsh View Post
And you were actually able to enter all the 8938 days into their form on line? I’m pretty sure i was using the deluxe software and it told me 8938 had to be filled in separately and my 1040 and 8939 physically sent to the irs.
Yes, all entered online and e-filed.
MidAtlantic is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:02 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 447
Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by asjwalsh View Post
I read that thread on the website. That’s the problem. They were aiming on having it available on Jan 27th, then the 31st, then Feb 2, 4, 11, and now the 18th. I suspect they may never have it available.
I've always used TurboTax and it's become available way before the deadline every year so I would stop worrying too much. I just looked, I e-filed my 2019 return in late February and Form 8938 was available at that time.
Olly_ is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:07 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
Yes, all entered online and e-filed.
Thank you.
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:09 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by Olly_ View Post
I've always used TurboTax and it's become available way before the deadline every year so I would stop worrying too much. I just looked, I e-filed my 2019 return in late February and Form 8938 was available at that time.
Thanks for the reply.
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:22 pm
  #10  
Furby
 
Glasgow Girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 171
Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

I use Turbo Tax and always file Form 8938 online with them. It is normal for them to keep moving the availability date of this form. I think they are waiting for the IRS to declare that the they have the final form and instructions, so it is not their fault, they go with the best information available. Anyway, as I recall it is always available long before Tax Day, and if I recall correctly before the end of Feburauary.
Glasgow Girl is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2021, 12:46 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl View Post
I use Turbo Tax and always file Form 8938 online with them. It is normal for them to keep moving the availability date of this form. I think they are waiting for the IRS to declare that the they have the final form and instructions, so it is not their fault, they go with the best information available. Anyway, as I recall it is always available long before Tax Day, and if I recall correctly before the end of Feburauary.
Thanks GG!
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:03 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 3
ckusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Phew - glad someone else has this issue. I usually sort out my returns ia TurboTax and get it in my mid-Feb. Bit surprised this year to have this 'form not ready' message, with a ready date of 25 February... . Okay, I'll give the IRS the benefit of the doubt with Covid, but really... (as you all probably know, why have such a stupidly complex tax system...!)
ckusa is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:52 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

I decided to try out H&R Block. Filled everything out and because I need Form 8938 it is all being reviewed by a tax expert. Who should then finish the return and send it back to me for approval. Theoretically.
asjwalsh is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2021, 6:00 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 447
Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Form 8938 is now available on TurboTax, just in case anybody was waiting.
Olly_ is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2021, 6:12 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
asjwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Prep on-line software and Form 8938

Originally Posted by Olly_ View Post
Form 8938 is now available on TurboTax, just in case anybody was waiting.
Thanks Olly. I got that email from TurboTax too, but I already filed through H & R Block.

Andrew
asjwalsh is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.