Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax liabilities for USC "abroad".

Tax liabilities for USC "abroad".

Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax liabilities for USC "abroad".

Hi,
So OH and I became USC last December after ten years as GC holders.
If we were to take a 2 - 3 year corporate secondment to the OH's European corporate HQ are we still liable to pay income tax to the US authorities while we're abroad?
I've been trying to do some research but it seems to be a quagmire and I've found conflicting info on line.
Has anyone done this and then returned to the US at the end of the secondment period? Were there income tax liabilities while working abroad?
Thx
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax liabilities for USC "abroad".

You are required to do a US tax return and report worldwide income. Whether you will actually owe any tax depends on how much you earn. I would say most people don't end up owing tax; I think the threshold is pretty high.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

There's a foreign earned income exclusion of about $100k and a foreign tax credit for any foreign taxes paid on income that is taxable in the US (for example, interest, capital gains and income above the exclusion level). You may or may not owe US taxes depending on your income level, types of income and the level of taxation where you are living. As already pointed out, you'll have to report your total worldwide income.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Thx both, this is what I'm trying to figure out will we be liable for double taxation from both the country of residence and the USA above the threshold of 100k?
I think I get it that we have to pay taxes on investments / interest in the US and that's fine it's the liability on income taxes that concerns me.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Thx both, this is what I'm trying to figure out will we be liable for double taxation from both the country of residence and the USA above the threshold of 100k?
You'll have to report all earned income to the US with the first $100k being excluded and the rest you'll get a foreign tax credit for any taxes paid on it. If the US tax is higher than the credit, you'll pay the difference to the IRS. There also an exclusion for foreign housing.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...come-exclusion

I think I get it that we have to pay taxes on investments / interest in the US and that's fine it's the liability on income taxes that concerns me.
You'll pay tax on investments/interest on a worldwide basis, not just the US. Again, a foreign tax credit may come into play if you paid any.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, that's helped to clarify
Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:14 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Basically in the first year you file for a foreign tax credit on 1116 and then after that you claim the foreign earned income tax credit on Form 2555-EZ (or 2555 if you're too wealthy to be posting here). If you have any passive income from abroad you have to use 1116.

That typically reduces your liability to zero. It's just a massive paper chase.

For temporary assignments there are usually temporary exemptions from _payroll_ taxes in the foreign country (not income taxes).

Have a read of IRS publication 54. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf

And far more importantly, the tax treaty between the US and whatever country you're going to.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

You may well have to pay taxes in the European country you will be living in on your US investments and interests as many countries levy taxes on one’s worldwide income.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

PeterNem is an unknown quantity at this point

If you work for a large multinational they'll usually have some sort of tax equalization policy to ensure you neither benefit or lose out from a tax perspective when on assignment. Worth reading policies and checking with HR. My company will gross up salary enough to offset additional tax burden when traveling. Conversely if you're resident of a country which doesn't tax worldwide income and travel somewhere that there is no income tax, they'll reduce your salary so that you receive approximately the same net amount that you would in your home location.
Old May 17th 2018, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Lololita is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering, will Prince Harry have to file FBAR and pay US Tax, or is there a clause that exempts the monarchy?
Old May 17th 2018, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lololita
I was wondering, will Prince Harry have to file FBAR and pay US Tax, or is there a clause that exempts the monarchy?
Why would he be a US tax resident? Meghan can still married file separately.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Lololita is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
Why would he be a US tax resident? Meghan can still married file separately.
I think you're right, she can file separately, so he won't need to file.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, as a US citizen you must file US taxes. The way it works is that you pay the difference in taxes owed. If you pay 20% on your foreign income to that foreign govt, and your effective tax rate in the US that year is 22%, then you will pay Uncle Sam 2%. When it comes to capital gains, its the same concept and even the states get involved in collecting (that's if you still maintain a residence in the state as your primary residence, which shouldn't be the case). So, basically it becomes a paperwork issue as you have to use an accountant etc., but it must be done
Old May 18th 2018, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lololita
I think you're right, she can file separately, so he won't need to file.
They will also have to be very careful not to commingle assets so as not to have his info appear on FBAR/FACTA. I'm sure there are plenty of high paid tax accountants involved...

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 18th 2018 at 2:31 am.
Old May 18th 2018, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm sure there are plenty of high paid tax accountants involved...
Exactly

I'm sure they will be well covered, but who knows, maybe they will sign up here for some free advice. (anonymously of course)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.