British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Laws in New Hampshire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-laws-new-hampshire-515779/)

c17age Feb 20th 2008 8:35 am

Tax Laws in New Hampshire

:confused:Hi
We are moving to maine in Sept but toying with the idea of living in NH eventually. I have heard that they don't pay income or sales tax there. Is this why the house tax is so high. Also what are the implications of living in NH but working in ME?
Help!!!!:confused:

RoB1833 Feb 20th 2008 9:50 am

Re: Tax Laws in New Hampshire

There is no sales tax tax or state income tax in NH, which is why property tax is higher as that is the way the state finances itself.

However if you live in NH but work in Maine, you'll have to pay Maine state taxes on your income. I Live in NH but work in Mass and pay Mass state taxes for the pleasure of being stuck on I-93 twice a day.....:(

Bob Feb 20th 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by RoB1833 (Post 5958240)
There is no sales tax tax or state income tax in NH, which is why property tax is higher as that is the way the state finances itself.

However if you live in NH but work in Maine, you'll have to pay Maine state taxes on your income. I Live in NH but work in Mass and pay Mass state taxes for the pleasure of being stuck on I-93 twice a day.....:(

Don't forget paying federal taxes, you don't get out of that either. And if you live close to the border on a neighbouring state, car insurance tends to be higher because car insurance isn't a requirement in NH.

hobbes79 Feb 20th 2008 5:52 pm

You don't say whether you plan to rent or buy...

My wife's grandparents used to rent in NH due to the property taxes there. Unlike the UK, you won't pay any property tax if you rent.

Just a thought.

Longy Feb 20th 2008 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 5960095)

My wife's grandparents used to rent in NH due to the property taxes there. Unlike the UK, you won't pay any property tax if you rent.

Just a thought.

You probably will - its just included into the rent so you don't notice it and then the landlord claims it as a deduction.

meauxna Feb 20th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 5960095)

Just a thought.

Uh, you're dreamin' lad. You pay it, and you don't get to write it off your tax return like the landlord does. :)
It is all bundled in with your rent.

lapin_windstar Feb 20th 2008 7:36 pm

OK, but it's not an additional cost for budgeting purposes.

hobbes79 Feb 20th 2008 7:40 pm

Yeah, yeah... fair point everyone :lol:

Like has basically been said, at least your monthly costs are exactly what they say on the tin.

Giantaxe Feb 20th 2008 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5960537)
OK, but it's not an additional cost for budgeting purposes.

Seems like an odd argument. Nor is property tax if you budget for it in the first place :confused:

RoB1833 Feb 21st 2008 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5959903)
Don't forget paying federal taxes, you don't get out of that either. And if you live close to the border on a neighbouring state, car insurance tends to be higher because car insurance isn't a requirement in NH.

Car insurance is still cheaper than Mass though

Bob Feb 21st 2008 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by RoB1833 (Post 5964370)
Car insurance is still cheaper than Mass though

Aye, but I said if you were living in a neighbouring state, close to the border...