Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax issue for British/American Dual Citizen

Tax issue for British/American Dual Citizen

Old Sep 17th 2005, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

slmndr13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax issue for British/American Dual Citizen

I was wondering if I might not be able to get some technical help from someone on this board.

I have a client who lives in London that has found her American brokerage account is subject to automatic tax withholding because she has received a “second B notice” from the IRS.

It’s my understanding that this occurred due to some confusion created by her having alternatively using both her married and maiden name. The proposed remedy for this entails her visiting the US embassy in London. I don’t feel comfortable asking my client to spend her time this way.

I have heard that it is possible for her to sign a limited power of attorney that would enable my firm to enquire about the reason the second B-notice was issued and furnish the IRS with any information required to dispel the confusion. I have also heard that there is an IRS form that she can sign that will basically enable us to do the same.

Can anyone enlighten me on this topic?

This is a very nice client and I really want to help her get this sorted with a minimum of inconvenience on her part.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or direction provided.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong branch for this sort of question.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 12:22 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax issue for British/American Dual Citizen

Originally Posted by slmndr13
I was wondering if I might not be able to get some technical help from someone on this board.

I have a client who lives in London that has found her American brokerage account is subject to automatic tax withholding because she has received a “second B notice” from the IRS.

It’s my understanding that this occurred due to some confusion created by her having alternatively using both her married and maiden name. The proposed remedy for this entails her visiting the US embassy in London. I don’t feel comfortable asking my client to spend her time this way.

I have heard that it is possible for her to sign a limited power of attorney that would enable my firm to enquire about the reason the second B-notice was issued and furnish the IRS with any information required to dispel the confusion. I have also heard that there is an IRS form that she can sign that will basically enable us to do the same.

Can anyone enlighten me on this topic?

This is a very nice client and I really want to help her get this sorted with a minimum of inconvenience on her part.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or direction provided.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong branch for this sort of question.

There's an IRS office in the Embassy, is that what you were referring to?
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Yes, I'm sure you are right about that.

I'm actually hoping to find out more about this:

"I have heard that it is possible for her to sign a limited power of attorney that would enable my firm to enquire about the reason the second B-notice was issued and furnish the IRS with any information required to dispel the confusion. I have also heard that there is an IRS form that she can sign that will basically enable us to do the same."

Sorry I wasn't too clear about that.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slmndr13
Yes, I'm sure you are right about that.

I'm actually hoping to find out more about this:

"I have heard that it is possible for her to sign a limited power of attorney that would enable my firm to enquire about the reason the second B-notice was issued and furnish the IRS with any information required to dispel the confusion. I have also heard that there is an IRS form that she can sign that will basically enable us to do the same."

Sorry I wasn't too clear about that.

I know I am because I've been there so my husband could get a TIN. They are not open to the public on Fridays.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

can't you just ring or email the IRS office in the embassy? I thought they had contact details somewhere on the consulate website?
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/art...101292,00.html

even...so give them a ring or a fax, the IRS usually aren't to bad with help if you ask.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/art...101292,00.html

even...so give them a ring or a fax, the IRS usually aren't to bad with help if you ask.

Good idea. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.