Tax Implications - UK FBAR?

Tax Implications - UK FBAR?

Old Dec 30th 2014, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

DTLVbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Implications - UK FBAR?

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Why'd you do that?

Generally speaking you should volunteer as little personal information as possible to corporations.
I hear you - I was basically just making sure they had all the correct info to avoid any headaches later and this was just on my list of things tax related to sort out before the end of the year as my taxes are more complex this time around.

I will be closing this account in the next week anyway so it shouldn't really matter. I absolutely appreciate the advice though. I guess after going through immigration, I am used to having this sort of stuff being an open book to avoid any problems
Old Dec 30th 2014, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You may like to keep the account open. It can be handy to have access to local funds when you go back.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Why'd you do that?

Generally speaking you should volunteer as little personal information as possible to corporations.
Perhaps someone might wish to maintain the account with HSBC in the UK, in which case they should be aware of Section 2 - General, of the HSBC Terms and Conditions. Failure to comply with 35.4 (Your responsibilities)

"You must tell us in writing about any changes to Customer Information provided to any member of the HSBC Group within 30 days of the change."

may result in 35.6 (What happens if you don't meet your responsibilities) applying:

"then we may: block or close your account(s)."
Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

DTLVbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theOAP
Perhaps someone might wish to maintain the account with HSBC in the UK, in which case they should be aware of Section 2 - General, of the HSBC Terms and Conditions. Failure to comply with 35.4 (Your responsibilities)

"You must tell us in writing about any changes to Customer Information provided to any member of the HSBC Group within 30 days of the change."

may result in 35.6 (What happens if you don't meet your responsibilities) applying:

"then we may: block or close your account(s)."
Well, it wasn't in writing, but over the phone and updating my profile on my online account. I'm sure it's fine either way

And I will think about keeping it open - having access to it while in the UK can be handy - but I'd rather close those ties
Old Jan 1st 2015, 6:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Your UK bank may still choose to report you annually under FATCA - and could decide as a consequence at some future date that you are too expensive a customer to maintain because they need to cover their own reporting costs; and so the bank might close the account one day.
The bank's reporting costs under FATCA are largely fixed, and have already been incurred. It is highly unlikely that closing U.S. linked accounts will affect either at this stage. It was never likely that full service banks could realistically withdraw from U.S. linked business. And if they wanted to do so, they needed to do so before the reporting obligation came into effect in 2014.

FATCA compliance is just one of the many costs of doing business as a bank.