Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Poor advice. Much better to request filing extensions, and thereby be filing on time, than to depend on there being no penalty (due to the method of calculation) for filing late.
I made that suggestion based on the apparently erroneous assumption that it would not even be possible for the OP to file for an extension without an ITIN.

However I see that the instructions for Form 4868 do, in fact say:

IRS individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITINs) for aliens. If you are a nonresident or resident alien and you do not have and are not eligible to get an SSN, you must apply for an ITIN. Although an ITIN is not required to file Form 4868, you will need one to file your income tax return. For details on how to apply for an ITIN, see Form W-7 and its instructions. If you already have an ITIN, enter it wherever your SSN is requested. If you do not have an ITIN, enter “ITIN TO BE REQUESTED” wherever your SSN is requested.
So, yes, the OP might as well file for a Federal extension which, I believe, will also cover him for Ohio provided that he does not own any state taxes.

I still maintain, however, that even this is not really necessary in the circumstances:
A late filing penalty is usually charged if your return is filed after the due date (including extensions). The penalty is usually 5% of the amount due for each month or part of a month your return is late. The maximum penalty is 25%. If your return is more than 60 days late, the minimum penalty is $135 or the balance of the tax due on your return, whichever is smaller. You might not owe the penalty if you have a reasonable explanation for filing late.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I made that suggestion based on the apparently erroneous assumption that it would not even be possible for the OP to file for an extension without an ITIN.

However I see that the instructions for Form 4868 do, in fact say:

So, yes, the OP might as well file for a Federal extension which, I believe, will also cover him for Ohio provided that he does not own any state taxes.

I still maintain, however, that even this is not really necessary in the circumstances:
Although the IRS wants you to file for an extension, generally there isn't any penalty if you don't file for the extension and no tax is due. This becomes obvious since many Americans don't realize that they are supposed to file US returns when living overseas and only file them when they realize that they need tax returns to sponsor a spouse and I haven't heard of anyone having to pay a penalty. It is always better to file a return since the statute of limitations don't start until a return is filed or April 15th which ever is later.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

sawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enoughsawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Poor advice. Much better to request filing extensions, and thereby be filing on time, than to depend on there being no penalty (due to the method of calculation) for filing late.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff, I will, to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

sawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enoughsawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Michael
Although the IRS wants you to file for an extension, generally there isn't any penalty if you don't file for the extension and no tax is due. This becomes obvious since many Americans don't realize that they are supposed to file US returns when living overseas and only file them when they realize that they need tax returns to sponsor a spouse and I haven't heard of anyone having to pay a penalty. It is always better to file a return since the statute of limitations don't start until a return is filed or April 15th which ever is later.
Thanks for the reassurance Michael. I will still file an extension, even if it takes even longer. I don't mind when I get the money returned to me as long as it gets to me eventually !

I am still struggling with the extension form and another IRS person on the phone told me they aren't able to help without an ITIN/SSN. This is getting quite ridiculous.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, file your W7 with the IRS extension before April 15th. You'll have to let the Ohio one hang for now because of the lack of ITIN, but it doesn't sound like there'll be a bad consequence of that.

Here's a link that goes directly to the IRS pdf of the form and instructions:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf
You liability is less than your tax withheld so you have nothing to pay with the extension. Then you can make sure you get everything right before your new date (which will then be October 15th).

Make sure you give your student office/wherever it is that sends you your checks your ITIN once you get it, then they should adjust your withholding.

(didn't realise there was a second page of replies - much of my above has been covered!)

Last edited by Jscl; Apr 8th 2013 at 5:40 pm.