Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

sawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enoughsawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enough
Default TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

Hi Everyone,

I am a UK citizen studying in Ohio, and I am trying to sort out my taxes.
The university have given me no help whatsoever so I'm gradually trying to do all of this paperwork myself. (I've called up several agencies in the area and no one is able to help international students like myself).
I don't have an ITIN, as I am on fellowship but I've been told that I need to apply for one. I can't file my taxes online (without an ITIN or SSN) so I think I have to apply for this with an W-7 in the mail, possibly in the same envelope?

A few things:
I can only send off my original passport / certified copy with my W-7, where could I go to apply for a certified copy ?
Does it cost to apply for a ITIN?
I am assuming that the paperwork I am completing only includes federal tax, so how do I claim back state tax ? For the state of Ohio

Hope someone is able to help me.... Kind of running out of people to ask !

Thanks so much
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:32 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX HELP! State Tax Refund - Ohio / ITIN W-7 form..

where could I go to apply for a certified copy ?
I'm guessing you'll need a notary.

Kind of running out of people to ask
Here's an idea, speak to a tax attorney!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

sawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enoughsawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm guessing you'll need a notary.

Here's an idea, speak to a tax attorney!

Thanks, as I mentioned, I've spoken to an tax attorney and they aren't able to help people without an ITIN or SSN.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sawdustanddiamonds
Thanks, as I mentioned, I've spoken to an tax attorney and they aren't able to help people without an ITIN or SSN.
There should be people along shortly that have applied for ITINs. Spouses and children of H1-B visa holders can't get SSNs so have to apply for ITIN and there are plenty on BE.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
There should be people along shortly that have applied for ITINs. Spouses and children of H1-B visa holders can't get SSNs so have to apply for ITIN and there are plenty on BE.
Thanks! I spoke to the IRS on the phone and they told me that I am able to send all of my documents together, but it will take around 16 weeks to process...

I am still trying to figure out how to apply for a State Tax Refund if anyone knows about that ?
NB: I am not able to file this electronically either because I do not have a SSN/ITIN yet !

Last edited by sawdustanddiamonds; Apr 7th 2013 at 4:30 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sawdustanddiamonds
Not clear why you see a need for an attorney. Most competent tax practitioner CPAs will be able to help you. If you don't have an SSN, you need to apply for an ITIN and there is a specific process to do this.

Since it's so late in tax season, you may not be able to find a CPA before April 15. You may need to file a form 4868 to request an extension of time to file your tax return.

For state tax, some states will respect federal extensions, others require you to make a separate application.

Guide to choosing a tax practitioner:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Choosi...Accountant-USA
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm unclear how you had taxable income without having an itin or ssn... is this income generated in the UK? How will you get an Ohio state refund if you didn't have Ohio state taxes withheld, and how did you have Ohio state taxes withheld without an ITIN or SSN?

Just in case you are not aware of some basics (and apologies if you are aware, I just wasn't sure from your phrasing), you will only get a State refund if EITHER you have received income in the US (wages, interest on a bank account etc.) and had state taxes withheld on that income OR your state offers refundable tax credits (in some states available to taxpayers in a certain range, usually low income earners). To get a state refund you file a state tax return to work out how much is due to you, and then wait for them to pay you your refund. You'll be able to get the forms from the website for your state, and they'll have the address to send the form to there.

Without an ITIN you might have to ring their helpline, because I don't know how you initiate even an extension if you don't have an ITIN!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jscl
I'm unclear how you had taxable income without having an itin or ssn... is this income generated in the UK? How will you get an Ohio state refund if you didn't have Ohio state taxes withheld, and how did you have Ohio state taxes withheld without an ITIN or SSN?

Just in case you are not aware of some basics (and apologies if you are aware, I just wasn't sure from your phrasing), you will only get a State refund if EITHER you have received income in the US (wages, interest on a bank account etc.) and had state taxes withheld on that income OR your state offers refundable tax credits (in some states available to taxpayers in a certain range, usually low income earners). To get a state refund you file a state tax return to work out how much is due to you, and then wait for them to pay you your refund. You'll be able to get the forms from the website for your state, and they'll have the address to send the form to there.

Without an ITIN you might have to ring their helpline, because I don't know how you initiate even an extension if you don't have an ITIN!
Thanks for responding, I am on academic Fellowship. I receive a monthly stipend from the University. A Fellowship isn't classed as taxable income and as a UK citizen (according to HMRC) I should be able to claim back state tax as well as federal tax.

Apologies for being unclear and skipping details, I moved to the states in August and I was only told a few days ago that I had to file a tax return by April 15th so I am learning about this all very quickly. I am currently unsure of which forms to complete and send to claim back for state tax in Ohio, it seems as though you can only file them online and I can't do that without a ITIN or SSN. It's frustrating.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked to see if Federal and state tax is withheld from your fellowship? I.e. when you received the check/deposit did you get some sort of statement with a breakdown of how much of the original scholarship you received?

If they haven't withheld taxes then you almost certainly won't get a refund (assuming you have no other income). Refunds go to people who have had too much tax withheld from their income during the year (except for few who receive some refundable credits but that doesn't sound like it would apply to you).
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Have you checked to see if Federal and state tax is withheld from your fellowship? I.e. when you received the check/deposit did you get some sort of statement with a breakdown of how much of the original scholarship you received?

If they haven't withheld taxes then you almost certainly won't get a refund (assuming you have no other income). Refunds go to people who have had too much tax withheld from their income during the year (except for few who receive some refundable credits but that doesn't sound like it would apply to you).
In the taxes part of my paystub it says:

Fed 1042
OH 1042
OH COLUMBUS Withholdng

(with the amount next to each)

So I assume this is federal AND state tax deductions
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

It looks like Federal, State and County/City withholding! If they sent you a 1042-S without asking you for an ITIN then I would guess they withheld at default rates, so you most likely will get most of it back.

So yes, you need an ITIN, which you can get at the same time as you file your federal return using W-7 (it is free). For the State return I'd really advise contacting them on a helpline, because you usually have to inform the state if you need an extension, and that form usually requires an ITIN. Might be different for your state though so check.

I think you do need help with your return(s) because as (I presume) a non-resident due to your foreign student status your return probably won't be anything like a "normal" one. I can't advise who to help but perhaps your student advisory office might have an idea? It's possible some sort of treaty benefit might apply to you too.

Also if they really don't have an ITIN for you they might be withholding a lot more taxes than they should, completing a form for them (the payer) to give them your ITIN might make them withhold less money or none at all. It's another thing to talk to your student office about too.

If you end up going to a tax prep place, bring your 1042-S, plus any receipts for expenses relating to your education, e.g. books. If your fellowship is greater than the tuition/fees you paid then you will likely have taxable income, and you might be able to reduce that with a credit for educational expenses.

Last edited by Jscl; Apr 8th 2013 at 5:09 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to reassure the OP that they do, in fact, have plenty of time to sort this out.

While the deadline for filing tax returns is only a week away there is (certainly from the perspective of Federal taxes) effectively no penalty for late filing provided that (as appears to be the case) you don't owe any additional taxes.

So you can go ahead and get an ITN and get the paperwork sorted out over the next few months, by which time the competent CPAs and tax preparers will no longer be nearly as busy as they are this week ...
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

It looks like Federal, State and County/City withholding! If they sent you a 1042-S without asking you for an ITIN then I would guess they withheld at default rates, so you most likely will get most of it back.

So yes, you need an ITIN, which you can get at the same time as you file your federal return using W-7 (it is free). For the State return I'd really advise contacting them on a helpline, because you usually have to inform the state if you need an extension, and that form usually requires an ITIN. Might be different for your state though so check.

I think you do need help with your return(s) because as (I presume) a non-resident due to your foreign student status your return probably won't be anything like a "normal" one. I can't advise who to help but perhaps your student advisory office might have an idea? It's possible some sort of treaty benefit might apply to you too.

Also if they really don't have an ITIN for you they might be withholding a lot more taxes than they should, completing a form for them (the payer) to give them your ITIN might make them withhold less money or none at all. It's another thing to talk to your student office about too.

If you end up going to a tax prep place, bring your 1042-S, plus any receipts for expenses relating to your education, e.g. books. If your fellowship is greater than the tuition/fees you paid then you will likely have taxable income, and you might be able to reduce that with a credit for educational expenses.
Thanks so much Jscl! Yes I am being taxed a hell of a lot, nearly a third of my pay. I see it as "emergency tax" used in the UK, I certainly don't owe them anything.

I have been sent a 1042-S. I do need help to be honest, but my University are utterly useless, I am not the only international student having trouble here although it seems as though I am the only one who doesn't have a ITIN/SSN as most people are working for the University.

I have checked with the state of Ohio this morning and it seems as though I am unable to claim back state tax without an ITIN… The lady on the phone suggested that I file for an extension. Only when I receive an ITIN, I can apply for a state tax refund (apparently)

My Fellowship stipend just covers rent and fees/school supplies. I have taken these into account, and listed these expenses when completing my forms.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
Just wanted to reassure the OP that they do, in fact, have plenty of time to sort this out.

While the deadline for filing tax returns is only a week away there is (certainly from the perspective of Federal taxes) effectively no penalty for late filing provided that (as appears to be the case) you don't owe any additional taxes.

So you can go ahead and get an ITN and get the paperwork sorted out over the next few months, by which time the competent CPAs and tax preparers will no longer be nearly as busy as they are this week ...
Are you sure that's the case ?? Because I could really do with more time. As mentioned in my post above ^ I apparently can't claim for a state tax refund without an ITIN. So I will need to file for an extension anyway.
Now I need to figure out how to do that
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Poor advice. Much better to request filing extensions, and thereby be filing on time, than to depend on there being no penalty (due to the method of calculation) for filing late.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by md95065

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.