Reload this Page >

Tax Help First Year in USA on L1A Visa

Tax Help First Year in USA on L1A Visa

Old Feb 9th 2023, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Bargie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Help First Year in USA on L1A Visa

Any guidance/help on the following would be appreciated:

In 2022 I spent a lot of time out of the UK on business trips…. USA and Middle East mostly as company has offices globally….The USA trips were on a ESTA for the most part of 2022 however I received my L1A visa late 2022 and moved here and have been paying US tax through my company payroll since. I don’t meet the SPT for 2022 if I only include time in the USA on the L1A but if you add up my L1A and ESTA visit I do. Do I need to report foreign income and pensions, CGT etc on my first USA tax return.

Old Feb 9th 2023, 1:59 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Help First Year in USA on L1A Visa

Originally Posted by Bargie1
Any guidance/help on the following would be appreciated:

In 2022 I spent a lot of time out of the UK on business trips…. USA and Middle East mostly as company has offices globally….The USA trips were on a ESTA for the most part of 2022 however I received my L1A visa late 2022 and moved here and have been paying US tax through my company payroll since. I don’t meet the SPT for 2022 if I only include time in the USA on the L1A but if you add up my L1A and ESTA visit I do. Do I need to report foreign income and pensions, CGT etc on my first USA tax return.
I don’t think ESTA/VW is excluded from the day count (I have seen B1 is included) certain government visas are excluded:
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p51...link1000222131

Assuming you paid tax in the UK you maybe able to see if you can us then”closer connection” exemption for part of the year, you should probably look for a proper tax advise.. many employers cover it for new transplants for a year or 2 as part of the package when moving…