Tax help

Old Feb 27th 2022, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Midlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax help

Hi. I'm new here and hope to get lots of tips! Me and my husband have filed for adjustment of status for green card (our son is a US citizen). We don't have SSN numbers until issued. My husband has a private pension back in the UK which is taxed and paid into our UK bank. We are now living in the US permanently. So my question is, do we carry on just getting the pension money which is taxed at source or do I need to contact HMRC and complete form P85 to tell them we are no longer resident for tax purposes and then file our tax return next year in the US and declare the pension (providing we get a SSN by then). If our SSN isn't issued in time for next US Tax filing time what happens then if we haven't paid taxes in the UK. Am I right in thinking we should apply for ITINs in case?? It's so confusing!!! Thanks in advance
Old Feb 27th 2022, 5:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax help

You need to contact HMRC and the pension manager and tell them that you are not tax resident in the UK. You may need to file a tax return to reclaim tax paid in the UK because income received by you after you become a permanent resident will be taxable in the US. .... If your adjust ment of status hasn't been processed yet, and if you act quickly, you might be able to get the change made by the pension manager quickly enough so that this isn't a problem - I guess it depends how quickly the pension manager can make the change.

It should only take 10-14 days to get an SSN issued, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 27th 2022, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax help

The following thread describes my own experience of getting HMRC to acknowledge that I am a US tax resident and stop sending me tax demands for my UK State pension:
Being taxed on UK State pension

Basically, myself and others, had to complete the HMRC form (US Individual 2002) plus the IRS form 8802 and send these to the US IRS in order for them (IRS) to issue certificate 6166 which confirms our US tax residency.
Twice the IRS said they had sent the certificates to HMRC but HMRC said they had not received them. It was only after the IRS send the certificates to me and I sent them certified to HMRC that the situation was resolved.

I presume you will need to do similar even though your have a private pension.