Tax help

Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax help

Hi there,
I've been here 5 years now and the first couple of tax returns were complicated due to UK and US tax needs. Last year I used HR Block and they charged me $650, my only UK requirement was a rental we have. They are suggesting about the same for this year but I'm wondering if that's on the expensive side seeing as they have my requirements now?
Any feedback greatly appreciated as always.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax help

Originally Posted by moving2nyc View Post
Hi there,
I've been here 5 years now and the first couple of tax returns were complicated due to UK and US tax needs. Last year I used HR Block and they charged me $650, my only UK requirement was a rental we have. They are suggesting about the same for this year but I'm wondering if that's on the expensive side seeing as they have my requirements now?
Contact Pete Newton www.britishexpatstax.com. He does our taxes and we have a UK rental as well. H&R Block are awful. It is the busy season since taxes are due in a few weeks but give him a shout.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Or buy Turbo Tax. ~ $60 odd
Old Mar 26th 2014, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar View Post
Contact Pete Newton www.britishexpatstax.com. He does our taxes and we have a UK rental as well. H&R Block are awful. It is the busy season since taxes are due in a few weeks but give him a shout.
This is an option, or as someone else has said, you can buy TurboTax or a competitor product (TaxACT has been reported to work better than TurboTax in some situations) for a relatively low cost.

You have to sign your own tax return and take responsibility for it anyway. So whether you use a tax professional or self-file, you need to understand what it contains.

If you need more time to file your tax return while you decide, you can get an automatic 6 month extension by filing form 4868. You will need to pay any tax you believe is due by April 15, most people estimate (with a margin for error). If you extend the federal deadline, you will need to check does this carryover automatically to your state tax filing deadline, or whether you need to file a separate form.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 2:46 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

re peter newman - he has been recommended on this site multiple times but last year when we made inquiries he was not able to take on more clients at that time due to capacity contstraints. So dont leave it to the last minute to enquire. or you could get caught out.

Also - be aware the price he ballpark quoted us (only income in uk was rental income) was pretty much double what you are qutoing for H&R block.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc View Post
Hi there,
I use H&R Block and they charged around $300 this year. I use someone who is highly experienced in dual citizenship/foreign pension and income issues. You can check the qualifications and experience of their staff on their web site, then select the most appropriate person.

Their guarantee is also worth something. When they made a mistake the first year I was here, largely due to my failure to explain something properly, they covered the cost of the additional taxes due without hesitation.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a private CPA, her fee is about $300 to file our joint personal and my husband's small business return. We do not have any foreign assets, though...but we do have to file 2 different state returns.

Rene
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:15 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
re peter newman - he has been recommended on this site multiple times but last year when we made inquiries he was not able to take on more clients at that time due to capacity contstraints. So dont leave it to the last minute to enquire. or you could get caught out.

Also - be aware the price he ballpark quoted us (only income in uk was rental income) was pretty much double what you are qutoing for H&R block.
Pete is now able to take on new clients. He hired an assistant. Her name is Kate Napolitano. I find Pete to be pretty reasonable As I mentioned though it's a bit late in the season but it can't hurt to contact him. I had used H& R Block years ago and I always caught them making mistakes . Luckily it was before I filed .