Tax Help

Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Help

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
My understanding is there is a system called gross up under which your firm can say you have a liability in tax of say $3000 they pay you that so your burden then in theory becomes tax on that $3000 not $3000 as a whole?
If they do the gross-up correctly (mine did) they will pay the tax on the $3000 as well. And the tax on the tax on the $3000 etc etc. A nice geometric (?) progression, in fact, to calculate correctly.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If they do the gross-up correctly (mine did) they will pay the tax on the $3000 as well. And the tax on the tax on the $3000 etc etc. A nice geometric (?) progression, in fact, to calculate correctly.
IOW they figure the extra amount needed to cover the taxes on the relo income AND the taxes on the extra amount!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
IOW they figure the extra amount needed to cover the taxes on the relo income AND the taxes on the extra amount!
No, because that's not enough. Paying you the amount for "taxes on the extra amount" will in itself generate more taxable income. This will produce a (negative) geometric progression trending towards zero, the sum of which is the gross up amount they should be paying.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:07 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

No, because that's not enough. Paying you the amount for "taxes on the extra amount" will in itself generate more taxable income. This will produce a (negative) geometric progression trending towards zero, the sum of which is the gross up amount they should be paying.
I had the meeting it was a lively affair, thing is I kept thinking is why do the make the sytem here so wank.
Upshot is I seem to have a deal where my own exposure will be very limited.
I now of course need to find a good accountant as some things like my daughters school fees etc or some such seem to be a partial deductable etc etc.
As I was only here for 3 months in 2007 I do not know if that 'part' year has an impact.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't quite work like this. I used to have to do this in the uk, for uk employees. The principle of "grossing up" is the same.

For simplicity's sake.... relocation allowance = 10,000 payable as a lump sum, this amount is grossed up and treated like salary. So, it may be that - depending on the city/county/state/country, the figure is actually 19000.

So, if the employee's usual annual earnings is 100,000 (keeping it simple & round numbers), then for the tax year in which he/she moved, that annual earnings is shown as 119,000.

(Of course there could be other implications like ROTH IRA eligibility etc....)
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Any recommendations for a tax prep for first time filers? Preferably in Chicago? Sorry to hijack there!
(Our relocation money was paid out here and taxed as salary. We're hoping to claim some of it back with the receipts we have for the various costs).
I just saw an outfit in Schaumburg, a friend of mine I very much respect has used them for years. Small outfit - I was quite happy with them. They are not too far from you.

<<removed>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 9th 2008 at 10:31 pm. Reason: Please send PM to Tracym for info