Wikiposts

Tax Help

Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Help

Originally Posted by Geezer041
So i was moving to emmigrate and willingly left my job then obtained a job when i arrived in the US. I guess that would not count?
Nope, it wouldn't....and you can only claim one relocation a year, so if you swanned about a bit for job relocations, could claim one of them if it's out of state relocation.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I'd find a good tax professional that can find every deduction you can get. I even got a deduction for my EAD fees as a business expense
Nice
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:26 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Damn, feel for you man. Did that $5k come with a penalty?

I just filed my quarterly payment today as I work freelance and my tax expert shaved about $1k off of what I'd put by in savings to pay.

I'd find a good tax professional that can find every deduction you can get. I even got a deduction for my EAD fees as a business expense
I should have gone to a tax person earlier........ today's the 13th.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:35 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
I should have gone to a tax person earlier........ today's the 13th.
We went to H&R block in a hurry and ended up owing $11k! We didn't take part in their 'double your refund' lottery incase it worked the other way too!
The tax people have been hassling us for the money despite the fact they owe us $6k from the previous year! Bastards.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by bored-silly
The tax people have been hassling us for the money despite the fact they owe us $6k from the previous year! Bastards.
you'll like the new CSI then, all about the IRS *lol*
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So i was moving to emmigrate and willingly left my job then obtained a job when i arrived in the US. I guess that would not count?
That's what my husband did and no I believe it doesn't count.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Geezer041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's what my husband did and no I believe it doesn't count.
I've been at this all ******* day. I have discovered that one's first $80k is US tax exempt if earned in another tax treaty country i.e. UK. Turbo tax have an expensive but comprehensive online system that seems to have successfully calculated my tax/refun to be $0. I'll take that. Now the fees for this - $40 federal and $30 state!

Back home we just worked all year then got some nice holiday cash in April. None of this ********. Bugger it; $70 for Californian weather and a lifetime of food smothered in orange cheese, sold!

Until next year....
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:38 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

assuming both you and your wife did not have any US income in 2004 then you have no reasons to file US taxes for 2004.

your wife should file her taxes just like she has done previously.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope

You could be Ok, it would involve you filing seperately and you would just need to account for the days in December you were here and presunably income less.

As others have said youre wife has to file anyway.

Pop down to the local Library or Book shop and have a read of one of the rather large guides, that will give you a grounding.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I've been at this all ******* day. I have discovered that one's first $80k is US tax exempt if earned in another tax treaty country i.e. UK. Turbo tax have an expensive but comprehensive online system that seems to have successfully calculated my tax/refun to be $0. I'll take that. Now the fees for this - $40 federal and $30 state!

Back home we just worked all year then got some nice holiday cash in April. None of this ********. Bugger it; $70 for Californian weather and a lifetime of food smothered in orange cheese, sold!

Until next year....
Welcome to the USofA!!!