Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax on Gambling Income Overseas?

Tax on Gambling Income Overseas?

Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough
Default Tax on Gambling Income Overseas?

Hi there,

If a British Citizen obtains US Citizenship and then relocates back to the UK, as I understand it he has to declare his income to the IRS unless he renounces his US citizenship.

However, certain countries (including the UK) have a tax treaty with the US which means anything you've already paid tax on in your host country, you don't have to pay tax to the US (i.e. you don't get 'double-taxed').

What would happen if you made a large amount of money gambling, e.g. a lottery win or success on the horses, online poker etc? As things stand this is not taxable in the UK (even if it is your full-time sole income), does that mean you can declare it to the Americans and not pay tax on it? Or will the IRS tax it because you haven't paid tax on it in the UK?

Many thanks in advance if you can answer this conundrum!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on Gambling Income Overseas?

I am not a tax expert, but I'll weigh in with my understanding. Gambling/lottery income is taxable in the US. The first (I think) $86k of income is suppossedly not double taxed due to the US/UK treaty. However, I do not know if you have to show that you paid UK tax on that first $86k. If you did not pay UK tax on that gambling income, and that is the whole of your income, I would think you could find yourself having to pay US taxes. You should look into contacting a UK/US tax accountant to get a definitive answer.

Also, in some instances, the US gov't can force you to pay taxes on your worldwide income for several years after renouncing citizenship. In other words, renouncing US citizenship may not absolve you of the requirement to file or pay taxes to the US gov't.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I am not a tax expert, but I'll weigh in with my understanding. .
That's my understanding as well.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:09 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

On a related topic, I believe the US consider the Premium Bonds system as "gambling", so even income from that source, albeit a UK Govt one, would be taxable as far as the IRS was concerned.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiceThrow
You would only have to pay taxes on the money if you tell them about it, but why in the world would you do that?
Because it's called tax evasion?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiceThrow
You would only have to pay taxes on the money if you tell them about it, but why in the world would you do that?
because when the IRS find out, you'll be in a whole world of pain...they really are quite vindictive about going after people.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
because when the IRS find out, you'll be in a whole world of pain...they really are quite vindictive about going after people.
Also, the IRS and HMRC regularly exchange information: never assume the IRS won't find out about income arising in the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polar_bear
Hi there,

If a British Citizen obtains US Citizenship and then relocates back to the UK, as I understand it he has to declare his income to the IRS unless he renounces his US citizenship.

However, certain countries (including the UK) have a tax treaty with the US which means anything you've already paid tax on in your host country, you don't have to pay tax to the US (i.e. you don't get 'double-taxed').

What would happen if you made a large amount of money gambling, e.g. a lottery win or success on the horses, online poker etc? As things stand this is not taxable in the UK (even if it is your full-time sole income), does that mean you can declare it to the Americans and not pay tax on it? Or will the IRS tax it because you haven't paid tax on it in the UK?

Many thanks in advance if you can answer this conundrum!
Originally Posted by celticgrid
On a related topic, I believe the US consider the Premium Bonds system as "gambling", so even income from that source, albeit a UK Govt one, would be taxable as far as the IRS was concerned.
I thought USCs were prohibited from playing lotteries overseas...that also includes premium bonds.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:50 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought USCs were prohibited from playing lotteries overseas...that also includes premium bonds.
I think...

The prohibition is on use of the US Mail to carry on correspondence with Premium Bonds. As far as I know there's no ban on actually gambling, such as buying them if you are in the UK, as long as any winnings are declared as taxable income. This applies not only to USCs but LPRs etc. Even just visitors.

The Premium Bond place (!) will not let you have a US address, but don't question nationality at time of purchase.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

hallri is an unknown quantity at this point

but what if you're not a US citizen?
I'm here living here on a work visa, so same rule while I'm a resident of America?

thanks
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Unless you are a politician.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallri
but what if you're not a US citizen?
I'm here living here on a work visa, so same rule while I'm a resident of America?
Same rules apply, especially if you have any plans on staying here long term.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:44 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

surely gambling is taxable in the UK,

whenever I went into Ladbrokes it was always tax paid on the stake or they'd take the tax out of your winnings....

or has it changed in the past ten years?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
surely gambling is taxable in the UK,

whenever I went into Ladbrokes it was always tax paid on the stake or they'd take the tax out of your winnings....

or has it changed in the past ten years?
Yes, it has changed, I think it was in 2002 (but don't quote me on that) betting duty was removed from the punters point of view. However for the bookie the tax was changed so that it was just charged on the bookies profits.

What were you doing in Ladbrokes?
Only company that wasn't a customer of the products I worked on when in the industry (and normally crap margins)!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 9:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre
What were you doing in Ladbrokes?
making a bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.