Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax form question (8938)

Tax form question (8938)

Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax form question (8938)

A few weeks ago, maybe mid December, I went to the IRS page where you can request paper forms and instruction books, and they'll mail them to you if available, back order them if not yet available. Last year it worked very well for me, I got everything I needed. This year a couple of snags arose. First, I requested the 1040 and the instruction book. It never came. And yet, I'm pretty sure they are currently available.

Maybe I'm being petty, but now that I'm retired and have to maintain my own printer and pay for ink cartridges, I don't want to be printing tax forms at my expense. I want the IRS to print them, and get them to me at the taxpayers' expense. (I do pay to photocopy the finished return, for my records.)

My other problem came to my attention when someone on another thread (tried to find it just now, but I couldn't) alerted me to the fact that form 8938 and its instructions were updated in December 2014. Annoyingly, the IRS sent me the December 2013 vintage forms and instructions, presumably because my request was a bit early.

I just had a look online, and the form is much the same but there is a new line 7b I think, greyed out and labelled "reserved" .... Otherwise the form is much the same. I'm going to use the old form, since I don't want to be using my resources to print up a current copy.

Would others do this? Or make the effort to obtain the latest version of the form?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax form question (8938)

As long as it doesn't change the outcome I'd use the form you have.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
As long as it doesn't change the outcome I'd use the form you have.
Good point, of course the 8938 is just a lot of hot air (no numbers are carried forward to any line in the 1040, so no tax payments involved...)
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

But you'll also need the 8965 so you may as well request a new 8938...
Old Jan 28th 2015, 12:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Cook_County
But you'll also need the 8965 so you may as well request a new 8938...
Isn't the 8965 just for folks claiming an exemption? They live abroad, etc. I haven't actually seen the form 1040 yet (IRS haven't sent me one, and budget cuts apparently mean they haven't sent supplies to public libraries...) but I think I read that people who have coverage from an employers plan etc. just check a box in the 1040?
Old Jan 28th 2015, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Isn't the 8965 just for folks claiming an exemption? They live abroad, etc. I haven't actually seen the form 1040 yet (IRS haven't sent me one, and budget cuts apparently mean they haven't sent supplies to public libraries...) but I think I read that people who have coverage from an employers plan etc. just check a box in the 1040?
You'll be fine if your certified US health care continues to cover you while you're on extended visits to the UK. No 8965 will be needed in your case.

The snag will come for those who are returning, mid-year, from extended time (years) in the US to live permanently in the UK. They will have to wait until they qualify under Section 911 before completing their tax return (normal if wanting to qualify for form 2555) or else they will end up paying the penalty. Those filing form 1116 who have returned mid-year will be caught out, unless they delay filing.

There may be some snags for others abroad if they are using tax software. We've had one problem mentioned already on UKY, but it remains to be seen whether it was the software's fault, or the filers fault; and the problem, if it exists, could be remedied in short order. A lot of unknowns at this early stage.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by theOAP
You'll be fine if your certified US health care continues to cover you while you're on extended visits to the UK. No 8965 will be needed in your case.

The snag will come for those who are returning, mid-year, from extended time (years) in the US to live permanently in the UK. They will have to wait until they qualify under Section 911 before completing their tax return (normal if wanting to qualify for form 2555) or else they will end up paying the penalty. Those filing form 1116 who have returned mid-year will be caught out, unless they delay filing.

There may be some snags for others abroad if they are using tax software. We've had one problem mentioned already on UKY, but it remains to be seen whether it was the software's fault, or the filers fault; and the problem, if it exists, could be remedied in short order. A lot of unknowns at this early stage.
That snag sounds awkward, I hadn't thought of that. In my case, I'll move straight from employer provided plan to Medicare part A & B, when I get to age 65 later this year, so I think I won't need the Form 8965 wherever I'm living.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
That snag sounds awkward, I hadn't thought of that. In my case, I'll move straight from employer provided plan to Medicare part A & B, when I get to age 65 later this year, so I think I won't need the Form 8965 wherever I'm living.
According to this (question 5) from the IRS, "Medicare Part A coverage and Medicare Advantage plans".... "counts as minimum essential coverage".

Questions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision

For the US person retiree, living in the UK, who has qualified for and signed up to Medicare Part A only, can they simply check the box on line 61 and stop there, or do they not tick the box and complete the 8965 as meeting Section 911? Curiously (sarcasm on), if you read the directions for 8965, there is no mention of this situation. A double winner?
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by theOAP
According to this (question 5) from the IRS, "Medicare Part A coverage and Medicare Advantage plans".... "counts as minimum essential coverage".

Questions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision

For the US person retiree, living in the UK, who has qualified for and signed up to Medicare Part A only, can they simply check the box on line 61 and stop there, or do they not tick the box and complete the 8965 as meeting Section 911? Curiously (sarcasm on), if you read the directions for 8965, there is no mention of this situation. A double winner?
Well, I'm assured by the thread over in UKY that you alluded to, filling out 8965 takes 30 seconds! As a retiree, I certainly have 30 seconds to spare! Oh, plus the cost of printing the form...