British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax filing for past year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-filing-past-year-648402/)

some-1 Jan 10th 2010 4:28 pm

Tax filing for past year

Hello

My friend told me to file taxation for one year which I was absent from the USA. That year I was in the UK working and preparing for my travel to come and reside in the USA. Below are my time-line before coming to the USA:
- I received the US Green Card beginning of year 2004 while studying full-time in the UK.
- In the year 2005 I was residing and working full-time in the UK.
- I arrived in the USA in August 2006 and since then have been living and working here. I have filled all my taxes for years 2006, 2007, 2008.

Therefore, my question is do I need to file tax for the year 2005 when I was absent from the USA. My friend advised that I fill forms 1040 and 2555. As I said above, for the year 2005 I was working full-time in the UK earning $30000 and had my wife living with me.

Please let me know if I need to file taxes for year 2005 because I want to apply for US citizenship next month and I want to avoid any wrong tax record.

And thank you for your help

Noorah101 Jan 10th 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Tax filing for past year

Yes, you need to file for the 2005 tax year. As a US PR, you were required to file a US tax return each year, and report world-wide income.

Rene

some-1 Jan 10th 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply. This is such a great and active forum.
One last question, if I file for 2005 do you think based on my situation I described above that I will owe IRS money! I know that i still need to talk to an accountant, but I just wanted to check :-)

some-1

Noorah101 Jan 10th 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by some-1 (Post 8235113)
Thanks so much for your quick reply. This is such a great and active forum.
One last question, if I file for 2005 do you think based on my situation I described above that I will owe IRS money! I know that i still need to talk to an accountant, but I just wanted to check :-)

some-1

There's NO way for me to know whether you'll end up owing money or not. You'll have ot actually do the return and see what the results are.

Rene

wordfool Jan 10th 2010 8:25 pm

Did you pay income tax in the UK in 2005? if you did then definitely talk to an accountant and/or tax attorney because the tax treaties between the US and UK means you often only have to pay tax in one country if you were resident only in one country for the year AFAIK. If you do owe the IRS, however, expect to have late payment penalties/interest added on to the bill.

jaxslad Jan 11th 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by wordfool (Post 8235725)
Did you pay income tax in the UK in 2005? if you did then definitely talk to an accountant and/or tax attorney because the tax treaties between the US and UK means you often only have to pay tax in one country if you were resident only in one country for the year AFAIK. If you do owe the IRS, however, expect to have late payment penalties/interest added on to the bill.

I Think if you was working outside the us the taxable income is something like $80k if i remember....but still have to be filed, even so..

If you apply for usc based on being married to a usc i think its the last 3yrs of taxes needed.....I am correct?