Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax filing (H1B) - Single or Married

Tax filing (H1B) - Single or Married

Old Mar 10th 2003, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

AAABBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax filing (H1B) - Single or Married

I work in US on H1B visa and recently got married to a Canadian citizen. However, she is living in Canada completing her masters and visits me frequently.

I am wondering if I should file my Tax in Single or Married status.

Also, do I need to do something regarding my change of marital status for my H1B visa...??

Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Kevin_hope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax filing (H1B) - Single or Married

Even I had similar questions, as I work as a H1B in US.

The best place, wold be <<please PM member for his suggestion>>.

Even I have asked many Visa related Tax questions, they are the best.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Dec 7th 2006 at 12:33 pm. Reason: See message
Old Dec 7th 2006, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

you should file married as you are in fact married. This was the advice I was given 2 years ago (my soon to be ex wife was in the UK at the time)
Old Dec 7th 2006, 3:38 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
you should file married as you are in fact married. This was the advice I was given 2 years ago (my soon to be ex wife was in the UK at the time)
Hehe! And the OP needed the advice 3.5 years ago.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Hehe! And the OP needed the advice 3.5 years ago.

heheh... I never look at things like dates....

doh.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
... (my soon to be ex wife was in the UK at the time)
I thought you just got hitched a couple months back?

Anyway, second poster sounds like spam to be, but I can't be arsed to do anything about it at 12:30 in the morn.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought you just got hitched a couple months back?

Anyway, second poster sounds like spam to be, but I can't be arsed to do anything about it at 12:30 in the morn.
He did...but he was speaking in the past tense...a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:07 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAABBB
I work in US on H1B visa and recently got married to a Canadian citizen. However, she is living in Canada completing her masters and visits me frequently.

I am wondering if I should file my Tax in Single or Married status.

Also, do I need to do something regarding my change of marital status for my H1B visa...??

Thank you for your help.

I'm not a tax expert but,

The form you fill out for yr employer, you can put down married or single, it just signifies how much tax you want taken out. If you put down single, they will take out more tax than if you put down married. At the end of the year, if you had put down single, you prolly wouldn't owe anything. If you put down married, you possibly will owe the IRS.

At the end of the year, when you FILE your tax return, that's when you have to legally put whether you are actually married or single, or how many kids you have. If you file single, you will prob get some money back.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:32 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin_hope
Even I had similar questions, as I work as a H1B in US.

The best place, wold be *********** , they specialize in H1B Taxes and Mr.David Kempe seems to be be an expert in this. I believe they have a forum too.

Even I have asked many Visa related Tax questions, they are the best.

Thanks

Kevin
Hmmm, why am I so suspicious of this first post? Could it be because 'Kevin's' real name is probably David Kempe? Nice bit of self promotion there...

Last edited by Bob; Dec 7th 2006 at 1:09 pm.