Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TAx, Exchange Rates and Rental Income

TAx, Exchange Rates and Rental Income

Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TAx, Exchange Rates and Rental Income

I have nearly finished my taxes, one question that I have yet to find an answer for.

My second US Tax return with UK rental income, I put in the acquired value last year and depreciated it.

Now I have to put it in again, that has not changed but of course the exchange rate has. So what do people do, use the same dollar value as last year, or the same sterling value with a new dollar value? I am inclined to go with the same dollar value, it would be benefical to go with the new exchange rate.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:09 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAx, Exchange Rates and Rental Income

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have nearly finished my taxes, one question that I have yet to find an answer for.

My second US Tax return with UK rental income, I put in the acquired value last year and depreciated it.

Now I have to put it in again, that has not changed but of course the exchange rate has. So what do people do, use the same dollar value as last year, or the same sterling value with a new dollar value? I am inclined to go with the same dollar value, it would be benefical to go with the new exchange rate.
average of the 12 months of your tax year
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:54 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
average of the 12 months of your tax year
Which bit of his question does that answer?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Boiler, you have to call the US Embassy in UK, they set the exchange rate each year. You may now be able to find it on the WEB.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Boiler, you have to call the US Embassy in UK, they set the exchange rate each year. You may now be able to find it on the WEB.
Reg. Frank R.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irsxchng.htm
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frrussre
I have used that for working out my income and expenses.

Sorry if the question was not quite clear, it is the Depreciation calculation, could not work out if I should amend the Buildings asset value as well. Obviously the tax programmme I am using assumes that the initial value in service remains constant.