Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax consequences of share sale

Tax consequences of share sale

Old Dec 18th 2016, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax consequences of share sale

Hello all. Has anyone got any knowledge of the tax consequences of selling shares in a company that I worked for years ago in the UK? They are not options and some of them I purchased on the save as you earn scheme. I am now a PermRes here in the USA.

Do you know what if anything I need to report to HMRC? Cheers

Last edited by PeterFrank; Dec 19th 2016 at 12:37 am.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax consequences of share sale

As far as I can tell, a SAYE scheme allows you tax-advantaged options to buy shares in your employer. Once you've exercised the options (bought the shares), they are held like any other shares. So, providing you're not a UK taxpayer any more, you shouldn't need to report anything to HMRC. You will need to pay capital gains tax in the US, though.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax consequences of share sale

Hopefully you have already reported the account in which they are held nicely on your FBAR every year as well as the value on your 8938.