Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax advice websites

Tax advice websites

Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:33 am
Just Joined

kingers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax advice websites

Can anyone recommend some decent websites to help British expats with their US tax planning?

My wife and I hope to move to the US to start a business. At present we're both resident and ordinary resident in the UK for tax purposes. I am domiciled in the UK but my wife is not.

I'm up to speed with getting the UK tax situation sorted out but I want to do a bit of research on the US side of things.

Experience has taught me it is usually best to get the tax planning done in advance as it can be costly, if not impossible, to restructure one's affairs later.

I'm sure I'll need a good tax attorney but I've found it useful to know as much as I can about experts' specialities - it keeps them on their toes!

Any and all help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax advice websites

Originally Posted by kingers
Can anyone recommend some decent websites to help British expats with their US tax planning?

My wife and I hope to move to the US to start a business. At present we're both resident and ordinary resident in the UK for tax purposes. I am domiciled in the UK but my wife is not.

I'm up to speed with getting the UK tax situation sorted out but I want to do a bit of research on the US side of things.

Experience has taught me it is usually best to get the tax planning done in advance as it can be costly, if not impossible, to restructure one's affairs later.

I'm sure I'll need a good tax attorney but I've found it useful to know as much as I can about experts' specialities - it keeps them on their toes!

Any and all help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would think you'll need to find a decent account with experience with UK and US tax matters.

More importantly than US tax issues, do you have everything set up as to how to enter the US legallly? That should be at the top of your list.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

fool.com

Bookshops are full of guide books especially at the time of year, Amazon.com would have them.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:54 am
Just Joined

kingers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
More importantly than US tax issues, do you have everything set up as to how to enter the US legallly? That should be at the top of your list.
Thanks for the feedback. The visa stuff is in hand - I've found plenty of detailed info on that and have 2-3 advisers lined up. Ironically it is compliance with visa requirements that makes tax planning an important issue so early on as I have to commit to certain corporate structures that will be very costly to alter later on.