British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax advice & private messages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-advice-private-messages-692285/)

Peter Newton Nov 5th 2010 3:00 am

Tax advice & private messages

Hi all,

As UK tax season is in full swing and US tax season is fast approaching, I'm starting to receive more private messages requesting tax advice. Please be aware that if you want me to provide personalized tax advice then we have to set up a formal engagement with each other.

If however, you're looking for general advice- please post your questions right in the forum and I'll do my best to answer as many as I can; this way everyone benefits :thumbup:

Cheers
Pete

meauxna Nov 5th 2010 3:37 am

Re: Tax advice & private messages

Thanks, Pete.. timely advice!

Susan W Nov 15th 2010 10:41 pm

Hi Pete

I have a general question, perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

I am a UK resident for tax purposes and have just completed a 3 month contract in a Texas company. I was paid directly and nothing (not a dime) was withheld.

I believe the correct thing to do is file my taxes as I normally do in the UK on line, self assessment, and declare my foreign income. Then tell the IRS I am filing in the UK. I understand the IRS will assess me for any tax I may owe on top.

But I would like to look into this further - can you point me in the right direction in terms of websites, or guidelines?

While I don't have a limited company, I believe I can claim some expenses as I was working away from home, in the US and paid as a contractor. I was not staff.

I would also like to compare the overall tax that I would pay in the UK as compared to in the US if I could file here.

Thank you,

Susan W

Toocan Nov 17th 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Pete,

We're just starting out on the road to expat status. I've received a job offer in San Diego and are currently evaluating the tax implications of relocating.

The current question I have is that if I sell my main family home in the UK after I accept/initiate a H1B visa, do I have to capital gains on the proceeds of the house sale? If so is there any capital gains allowance, is this on profit of the house sale or whole sale price, and what are the rates of capital gains.

On a similar note, is there any implications on moving the proceeds of the house sale into the US. Our aim would be to buy in the US once we're settled.

thanks!

meauxna Nov 17th 2010 10:46 pm

Hi.. this is my fault.. I pinned Pete's message but I should have locked the thread. This thread is not for discussion of tax quesitons, and certainly not the venue to put individual questions to Pete.

Please start your own thread with your question for the group at large. Many FAQs have been researched by members and someone may have an answer for you. Pete will often answer in these threads with *general information*.
If you want a professional consultation about your own situation, you should expect to hire someone for that.