British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tax Accountant Recommendation Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tax-accountant-recommendation-please-912832/)

manbearpig166 May 16th 2018 12:30 am

Tax Accountant Recommendation Please

Hi can someone please recommend a good tax accountant in California that can help file both my US and UK tax returns? Thanks! I looked at buzzacots but they are so expensive.

Noorah101 May 22nd 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Tax Accountant Recommendation Please

Hi manbearpig,

You posted at 5:30 pm on a weekday, when most people in the USA are eating dinner, spending time with family, and going to sleep. Please be patient for someone to come along during the day to respond.

Thank you,
Rene

Noorah101 May 22nd 2018 3:00 pm

You will probably want to define "expensive". The US tax return alone can run you $300 - $400.

Rene

manbearpig166 May 22nd 2018 3:00 pm

Hi Rene! Just a little dry tues humo(u)r on my behalf :)

manbearpig166 May 22nd 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12503625)
You will probably want to define "expensive". The US tax return alone can run you $300 - $400.

Rene

good point - I was quoted about GPB3000 for both US and UK returns

Noorah101 May 22nd 2018 3:12 pm

Are you in the UK or USA? You need a tax person in California, but you were quoted in GBP?

Rene

manbearpig166 May 22nd 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12503631)
Are you in the UK or USA? You need a tax person in California, but you were quoted in GBP?

Rene

I'm in CA - Buzzacotts are based in the UK so was quoted prior to my move. I had heard many british expats use them to file both US and UK returns.

mrken30 May 22nd 2018 5:36 pm

The UK based company I looked at using and got some advice from is Helena Turner, Author at US Tax & Financial Services

manbearpig166 May 22nd 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12503737)
The UK based company I looked at using and got some advice from is

thank you i'll ask them for a quote!

BigK May 24th 2018 1:58 am

You are probably better off getting an accountant here in the US who has done this for other UK expats. And the return cost will depend upon how many forms have to be filed (i.e., how complicated the return is). Like are there rental properties, mortgages, investments and capital gains, business holdings, etc, in one or both countries?

Someone like this could help
Expatriate Tax Service in San Francisco | San Francisco Small Business / Individual CPA Tax Service - Bay Area Accountants

manbearpig166 May 24th 2018 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by BigK (Post 12504391)
You are probably better off getting an accountant here in the US who has done this for other UK expats. And the return cost will depend upon how many forms have to be filed (i.e., how complicated the return is). Like are there rental properties, mortgages, investments and capital gains, business holdings, etc, in one or both countries?

Someone like this could help
Expatriate Tax Service in San Francisco San Francisco Small Business / Individual CPA Tax Service - Bay Area Accountants

Thank you that's very helpful - I had the same thoughts recently. At the very least we'll be in the same timezone