Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To Tampa...or not ???

To Tampa...or not ???

Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:08 pm
Come on you Blues

IpswichElvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool To Tampa...or not ???

I am looking for some help. I am a US passport holder and have been given my SSN last year. I am applying for US passports for my 2 boys (10 & 6) at the US Embassy at the end of this month. My wife is a UK passport holder but is unbelievably keen to move to the Tampa area.

The help I need is in the area of employment. Does anyone have any recommendations for agencies or recruitment firms in the area ? Or is there anyone living locally that can point me in the direction of major employers in the area ? (My field of alleged expertise is "Logistics / Transport / Freight Forwarding / Warehousing").

The information I can gather on the internet is a little limited so would appreciate any suggestions or help !!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:38 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Tampa...or not ???

Originally Posted by IpswichElvis
I am looking for some help. I am a US passport holder and have been given my SSN last year. I am applying for US passports for my 2 boys (10 & 6) at the US Embassy at the end of this month. My wife is a UK passport holder but is unbelievably keen to move to the Tampa area.

The help I need is in the area of employment. Does anyone have any recommendations for agencies or recruitment firms in the area ? Or is there anyone living locally that can point me in the direction of major employers in the area ? (My field of alleged expertise is "Logistics / Transport / Freight Forwarding / Warehousing").

The information I can gather on the internet is a little limited so would appreciate any suggestions or help !!!
on what basis did you get your US passport?
at what age where you last in the usa.
as it may not be automatic that your kids get us citizenship imo.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:28 am
Come on you Blues

Cool Re: To Tampa...or not ???

Originally Posted by candy wy.
on what basis did you get your US passport?
at what age where you last in the usa.
as it may not be automatic that your kids get us citizenship imo.

I have dual UK / US nationality through my Father who is American but living in the UK. I was last in the US as a resident when I was a kid but have obviously been back on holidays to see family that I have there.

The embassy in London have told me that my kids might not qualify automatically for citizenship but they should be ok through my father but we will have to wait and see.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Perhaps the Department of Labor (DOL) website has a search function or has reports about regional/state labor trends that can help you identify the need/popularity for your field. Otherwise, search for sites at state or county level that may have the same info.

If all else fails, look at the online phone directory for the Tampa area for the number of businesses in your line of work.

I get the impression that you have never lived or worked in the US as an adult. If that's the case, you'd better start working on creating an American resume. Please search on this forum on BE for my earlier posts on writing resumes/CVs.

Salary.com may also prove helpful in giving you ballpark figures of what people in your field are being paid in the Tampa area.

Best of luck,

NC Penguin
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

First check out the local newspapers
http://www.tampatrib.com/ is one ...but really the only way to find a job ..is to go there... It ain't like the UK... with agencies eveywhere.. you have to knock on door etc..And unless you are actually living there ...the chances of a job offer are pretty slim...
Old Jan 12th 2005, 5:02 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Don't read the Tribune, read the Times...

http://www.sptimes.com/
Old Jan 13th 2005, 4:01 pm
'ey up flower

englishrosebud will become famous soon enough

I do agree about the job hunting thing in the US. It seems you have to be here to really find the best jobs. However, check out www.tbo.com
It has an employement/careerseekers section which is quite helpful.

Have you and your family been to Tampa already, to scope out the place for housing/jobs/school etc. Cant be much help I'm afraid, as I've only been here 6 months, but anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to.

Good luck
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:03 am
Come on you Blues

Cool Re: To Tampa...or not ???

Originally Posted by englishrosebud
I do agree about the job hunting thing in the US. It seems you have to be here to really find the best jobs. However, check out www.tbo.com
It has an employement/careerseekers section which is quite helpful.

Have you and your family been to Tampa already, to scope out the place for housing/jobs/school etc. Cant be much help I'm afraid, as I've only been here 6 months, but anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to.

Good luck
Hi, yes we have been before and checked out Tampa and the surrounding area. Tampa seems like a busy, thriving city with good employment prospects. According to my family with kids in the area, the schools are very good. We're looking at housing and schools in the Safety Harbour area which means a fairly short commute to Tampa if everything goes according to plan.

From the feedback I've got it seems like the best idea (if a bit scary) is to bite the bullet and go and then try and find a job.

How are you finding everything 6 months in ???!!!