Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tampa/clearwater area

Tampa/clearwater area

Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tampa/clearwater area

can I just have opinions on the tampa/clearwater area for young families , looking mostly at Safety Harbour, which has schools that meet my children's needs almost to the tee. Move is most likely within the next 9-12 months, could be as soon as 6 months from now. This gives us many opportunities in the long term future and have many positive thoughts from the area, but would like some ideas into anyone with knowledge and experience.

(we were thinking Austin Texas until we had a spanner in the works which has made the big change)
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:32 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tampa/clearwater area

Safety Harbor is lovely. I had a condo off Enterprise road. I think the ex still lives there!
I don't have kids so no idea about schools.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Safety Harbor is lovely. I had a condo off Enterprise road. I think the ex still lives there!
I don't have kids so no idea about schools.
Safety Harbor is indeed lovely, nice parks around that area, Philipe Park is a particularly lovely place to spend an afternoon. I will say that the traffic can sometimes be a bit heavy and for as long as I've been here there's been construction going on everywhere in Pinellas county, seemingly for no good reason, but of all the areas in Pinellas, Safety Harbor is is very near the top choice.

Given the choice between Safety Harbor and Clearwater, I would chose Safety Harbor every time. I lived in Clearwater for a few years and found it to be dull, uninspiring and kind of suffocating. Give a look to Dunedin if you have a chance, really nice bohemian vibe there.

Last edited by Lord PercyPercy; Jun 17th 2015 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
Safety Harbor is indeed lovely, nice parks around that area, Philipe Park is a particularly lovely place to spend an afternoon. I will say that the traffic can sometimes be a bit heavy and for as long as I've been here there's been construction going on everywhere in Pinellas county, seemingly for no good reason, but of all the areas in Pinellas, Safety Harbor is is very near the top choice.

Given the choice between Safety Harbor and Clearwater, I would chose Safety Harbor every time. I lived in Clearwater for a few years and found it to be dull, uninspiring and kind of suffocating. Give a look to Dunedin if you have a chance, really nice bohemian vibe there.
thank you for the heads up regarding traffic, I have found the schools that meet our needs on paper so I need to find a home that fits those (I am very impressed with their SEN provision mostly and is the 2nd thing I check after the rating). I will look into Denedin cheers.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Can I ask a question. I know where I want to live, but if there is no property by the time we go that meet our requirements do you have to choose your allocated schools? Or can you choose obviously if in a reasonable distance from the school?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I love Clearwater Beach...but the problem with Clearwater is it's the HQ of Scientology.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I love Clearwater Beach...but the problem with Clearwater is it's the HQ of Scientology.
hahahaha
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:24 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

So that's why they hang around and bug you at the St Pete farmers market.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:27 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stockhall
Can I ask a question. I know where I want to live, but if there is no property by the time we go that meet our requirements do you have to choose your allocated schools? Or can you choose obviously if in a reasonable distance from the school?
You can request to attend any school in the county. Unfortunately the good schools will be oversubscribed and your request is likely to be denied.

I bet if you were to request to attend an F grade school you would be right in.
Best bet find a property in the school district you are wanting to attend. That's the only sure way to get a placement your after.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, they're easy to spot. They're the only people wearing trousers in summer.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by excpomea
You can request to attend any school in the county. Unfortunately the good schools will be oversubscribed and your request is likely to be denied.

I bet if you were to request to attend an F grade school you would be right in.
Best bet find a property in the school district you are wanting to attend. That's the only sure way to get a placement your after.
The schools I love are C+ and a B especially as the elementary I believe had a lot of focus on autism and other learning difficulties including speech which is vital for my boys . I assume this will give me a better chance than A rated.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
Don't worry, they're easy to spot. They're the only people wearing trousers in summer.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 2:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just because I can, I took a spin through Safety Harbor at lunch time today. I rigged up my phone as a dash cam. It is not spectacular video, but in real life it is fab drive. Imagine you can see Tampa Bay and Tampa skyline 50 feet to the left for most of the ride. And a free sample of local radio as soundtrack

Main Street (Downtown SH) then Bayshore Blvd, then Bayside Bridge (McMullen Booth Rd/49th St)

Hope this link works.

Old Jun 18th 2015, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
Just because I can, I took a spin through Safety Harbor at lunch time today. I rigged up my phone as a dash cam. It is not spectacular video, but in real life it is fab drive. Imagine you can see Tampa Bay and Tampa skyline 50 feet to the left for most of the ride. And a free sample of local radio as soundtrack

Main Street (Downtown SH) then Bayshore Blvd, then Bayside Bridge (McMullen Booth Rd/49th St)

Hope this link works.

Very generous of you cheers

All i can say is wow from what I have seen. It appears to have a very Mediterranean feel to the place and incredibly green. Good perspective on what a commute may be like that bridge is quite some distance. I simply can't wait to get out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.