British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tampa Bay - filing taxes, first year residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tampa-bay-filing-taxes-first-year-residency-691576/)

ChelseaDagger Oct 30th 2010 6:49 pm

Tampa Bay - filing taxes, first year residency

Any recommendations for a proficient, reasonably priced CPA in the Tampa Bay area to assist with filing taxes for a first year permanent resident? Early I know but like to have all of my ducks in a row (& gather any supporting documentation I might need ahead of time)! What might one expect to pay for this type of service?

I'm looking for someone with demonstrable experience in dealing with this type of situation; any personal recommendations would be great.

As I understand it for tax purposes for my first year, I'll be classified as a dual-status alien & therefore must file a separate return from my USC wife and cannot claim standard deductions or for the most part, dependency exemptions?

Obviously, I'm looking to maximize whatever allowance/exemptions I am entitled to. Hence my requirement for someone who has extensive experience with this particular situation.

Thanks in advance.

CD

meauxna Oct 30th 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Tampa Bay - filing taxes, first year residency

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger (Post 8952046)
As I understand it for tax purposes for my first year, I'll be classified as a dual-status alien & therefore must file a separate return from my USC wife and cannot claim standard deductions or for the most part, dependency exemptions?

I always read the Permanent Resident rule differently; the year you become a PR you are a PR for the whole US tax year.

We filed our first year's return as married filing joint and took all the usual deductions etc. (I'm US, he was UK)

ChelseaDagger Oct 31st 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8952190)
I always read the Permanent Resident rule differently; the year you become a PR you are a PR for the whole US tax year.

We filed our first year's return as married filing joint and took all the usual deductions etc. (I'm US, he was UK)

Thanks meauxna, good to know in advance.

I guess no decent CPAs in the area then!

meauxna Oct 31st 2010 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger (Post 8953633)

It doesn't have to be someone in your immediate area, for advise anyway.
User Pete Newton here has been getting v. positive feedback (and he's awfully good about not hitting people up for biz, so I'm happy to give him a plug.) :)

fathermike Nov 1st 2010 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger (Post 8953633)

I have sent you a PM

Peter Newton Nov 1st 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8953661)
It doesn't have to be someone in your immediate area, for advise anyway.
User Pete Newton here has been getting v. positive feedback (and he's awfully good about not hitting people up for biz, so I'm happy to give him a plug.) :)

Thanks for the plug and always happy to help when I can! :thumbup:

For US taxes I also always recommend the directory at www.naea.org if you are looking for someone local to work with...

ChelseaDagger Nov 2nd 2010 11:05 am

Thanks Peter, fathermike & meauxna, some great suggestions.