Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Talk to me about Philadelphia, please

Talk to me about Philadelphia, please

Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about Philadelphia, please

I've always liked Bucks county if thats not to far out for you. Nice area imho. I would imagine Penn would be receptive as a major institution they are familiar with International students and quals, just don't leave it to late to sort something out.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Vikingsail. TBH I haven't withdrawn yet from my current programme, I'll wait til things solidify a bit further. I can only temporarily suspend my study for a year no longer.
That said, I think I might be asking too much of ourselves by expecting hubby to start a new job, get the kids into new schools, start living in a new house and in an entirely different environment and culture, then to top it all, place myself in another personally demanding situation when really I have to be supporting my family.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

$140,000 sounds very high to me. Average per capita income in the US is $53,000 per year and only 5% of the population makes more than $100,000 per year. You don't need to be top 5% in income to live comfortably in Philadelphia. At between $140,000 and $200,000 - there will be no problems.

I also have a PhD from a very major university. US PhD programs run very differently from UK ones. I would definitely wait until you are settled in. The PhD will be a major, major undertaking and I think will be tough to balance while you are settling a family into a new country. As well - it is March and you may have already missed the application deadline for Autumn.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:55 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the Philadelphia Mainline (Chester county) and in fact, have just bought a home in Malvern, PA. I work in Exton and my wife works in Radnor.

I cannot speak highly enough of the area and there's a lot to do around the place. The Great Valley school district (where we have bought) is incredibly good and our property taxes are around 1.58% of the sale price of the property.

Transport links are very good to the city so no issue there. It's also easy to access New York and Washington DC if that interests you.

You're really looking at around $2k/month for a rental of 2/3 bedroom 1300 sq. foot apartment just for reference.

If you have any specific questions about the area, please feel free to ask me!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:00 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

I should mention, I'm also on an L-1A and my company have started the conversations with their attorney about EB-1C. So if I can help there too, I'm happy to.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you hmvsdog.
Reading through all this stuff though is terrifying. I'm just beginning to wonder if we're expecting too much of ourselves to move early September and place the kids into school immediately.
What's nuts is that we are spending 3 weeks in California in August. Our trip of a lifetime with the kids. This was booked early last year, itinerary is all set and we're very excited about it. Now all this is happpening and I'm afraid our holiday is just going to banjax things.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:32 pm
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Thank you hmvsdog.
Reading through all this stuff though is terrifying. I'm just beginning to wonder if we're expecting too much of ourselves to move early September and place the kids into school immediately.
What's nuts is that we are spending 3 weeks in California in August. Our trip of a lifetime with the kids. This was booked early last year, itinerary is all set and we're very excited about it. Now all this is happpening and I'm afraid our holiday is just going to banjax things.
First thing RollingStones, please don't worry. I completely understand the fear you're going through and I'm happy to help support you as much as you need from my experiences. I was in exactly that position about 18 months ago and I'm paying back the support I got!

From initial visa application to when I entered the United States was only about 6 weeks. My company filed for Premium Processing in mid December and USCIS made their decision on the 12th day. Our interviews were scheduled around New Year time and we moved to the US in mid-late January.

I used to visit the US a significant amount using the visa waiver program, so if your concerns are based around visiting too soon before you move, then you need not worry, that will be alright. You actually don't have to enter the US using your husband's L-1 (and yours and the kid's L-2s) even if you have them. You can use visa waiver program for your holiday, and use the L's when you move here.

When I look back, I wish I'd have enjoyed the experience more than I did, it's a very exciting adventure. And hey, by September you can leave the cooling weather in UK behind to come here where we'll still be in the high 70's to low 80's. Autumn (the fall) is a wonderful season here.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

6 weeks!! that's quick.
It's probably going to take my parents and sibs longer than that to get over the shock.

We haven't talked to the relocation consultants yet so, to be honest, I don't know what to expect from them. I just need to make sure we get the kids into good schools so we don't screw up their opportunities later on and we'll rent a home according to that. I'm not worried about hubby, he knows what he's doing. I, on the other hand, don't but I think I'm going to have to take a break from my own career plans to get us settled first.
Did you sell your cars in 6 weeks?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

And yes, we're keen to do everything. Links to New York and DC will be fab. It's one of the things we love about where we are now. We're in a sleepy market town but we can be in London in two hours just taking the bus and train.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:58 pm
I don't (often) bite

Did you sell your cars in 6 weeks?
Luckily, I didn't have a car in the UK and my wife sold her car to a friend of hers at work. My parents tied up a lot of loose ends for us after we left too.

It doesn't have to be that quick though! But my company were very keen to get me over to the US. "Right man, right job, wrong country" as they put it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current career? My wife had to change her career path when we moved over, but her employment authorisation took much longer than the posted timescales. We were expecting 3 months and it was closer to 5-6 months. She is happy now in her new role though. Bear in mind, you won't be able to work until you have this document.

Also, we got my car here through International Autosource (a well recommended company on this website) although I couldn't pick up my new car until I passed my driving test in Pennsylvania (ridiculously, and I mean ridiculously easy) so we were renting cars using our UK licence until that happened. That was about 6 more weeks after we moved here for me to get an appointment for that.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:59 pm
I don't (often) bite

And yes, we're keen to do everything. Links to New York and DC will be fab. It's one of the things we love about where we are now. We're in a sleepy market town but we can be in London in two hours just taking the bus and train.
We moved over from Cheltenham, so I know what you mean!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

We're in Faringdon, so I know you know what I mean.

I'm a nurse, based in research though. But I've only started my PhD 5 months ago and thats been my plan for a long time. If I could what I want to do I'd base myself at PENN uni.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:15 pm
I don't (often) bite

We're in Faringdon, so I know you know what I mean.

I'm a nurse, based in research though. But I've only started my PhD 5 months ago and thats been my plan for a long time. If I could what I want to do I'd base myself at PENN uni.
There's options for study here, although it's not cheap. I couldn't speak with any assurity on that subject though.

Let me know if you need more pointers or if you need an opinion on apartment complexes or areas though. I'd be happy to drive around and keep my nose to the ground!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, that is a kind of you.

As I said, I'm not overly worried about my position at the moment, it'll sort itself out.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the kids out of School District of Philadelphia schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.