Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tale of two returnees.

Tale of two returnees.

Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tale of two returnees.

The tale of two returnees or expats.

Returnee One

Just started new job, love it.

Kids have made loads of friends at school.

Lovely seeing family and friends, loads of socializing.

Renting nice house, looking to buy soon.

Neighbours very friendly.

Its snowing, fab haven't see snow in so long, kids playing out now.

I'm so glad we came.

Returnee Two

Still looking for work, out of work 6 months now.

Kids, not settling at all, they hate it here.

Family can't even be bothered with us, friends have moved on.

Renting tiny place, no room for the family.

Neighbours from hell, next door.

Its bl***y snowing, I'm sick of it. Kids stuck in

We've made the biggest mistake coming here.

There are so many factors that effect our happiness, some in our control and some not.

From my point of view as being overseas, I have more positives (on paper) than negatives in the new country but it only takes one big negative for it to cloud the whole experience.

Mine is my DD has not settled and wishes everyday she was at home, which means I haven't settled and my husbands job is always messing him around with return to the UK dates from a year later to maybe 6 months early.

Just wondered what has made the move easier or hard for people?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:37 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tale of two returnees.

I'm generally confused and perhaps others are regarding what you mean entirely with all the examples, plus what does DD mean?

Regarding the question at the end, not thinking about what you left behind and seeing this new chapter in your lives as something totally new and unexplored helps a lot i think. Also having the knowledge and ability to go back from where you arrived from if possible within a certain timeframe could help. But I also think that could lead to one foot in the old place, which is a bad idea, speaking from experience.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:25 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

DD means Dear Daughter
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
DD means Dear Daughter
I always thought it meant darling daughter. Shows how much I know.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son
DH = Dear Husband
OH = Other Half

I hope to God that we will fall into the first category. Thing is, you will never know in advance, will you?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:13 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The things that have made it easy for me:

The stuff that's not really in my control:

Not having to find work as I work for myself

Not being broke

Having friends and family welcome us back

Not having any kids to worry about (not saying it's necessarily good not to have kids, but it does mean that stress isn't there for me).

Husband is just as happy as I am back here (this is a huge relief).

Never had a great social circle in America, so no one much to leave behind

The stuff I've made happen:

Constantly making a real effort to connect with friends as they have busy lives now and we've been gone a long time. I work much harder at it than they do and I'm OK with that.

Carefully researching where we wanted to live rather than just going back 'home'

Planning, planning, planning - especially things like banking and credit so that we experienced very few problems in this area when we arrived back.

Getting out to enjoy the country every chance we get. (This means not slothing round at home but spending weekends and summer evenings out and about sightseeing or just walking and going to shows and concerts whenever we can.)

Not getting hung up on the things that aren't as good here as they were in America (not that there are many!)

Going out and doing things no matter what the weather.

Never looking back or considering that 'this is only temporary and we can go back if we want.' I think it's important to make the commitment and then get on with it.

Above all else, I think the secret to our success is a lot of careful thought about what makes us happy, and a very realistic approach to what life back here would be like. We spent so much time analyzing and in the end we realized that everything we needed and wanted was in England, not America. That's not true for everyone else.

If you live in California and love being out in the sunshine, for example, don't kid yourself that the weather won't be really hard to deal with. If you have a spouse who really doesn't want to return, but you do and he/she has agreed for your sake, be aware that this may cause real issues. And if financial security and stability is important to you, but coming home means giving that up, think very carefully about what you're doing.

I hope this helps
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:10 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagsB
DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son
DH = Dear Husband
OH = Other Half

I hope to God that we will fall into the first category. Thing is, you will never know in advance, will you?
why cant people just write it out fully... are we really that rushed for time being on a forum, probably at work already
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:13 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Not being broke

Not having any kids to worry about (not saying it's necessarily good not to have kids, but it does mean that stress isn't there for me).

Constantly making a real effort to connect with friends as they have busy lives now and we've been gone a long time. I work much harder at it than they do and I'm OK with that.

Carefully researching where we wanted to live rather than just going back 'home'

Planning, planning, planning - especially things like banking and credit so that we experienced very few problems in this area when we arrived back.

Getting out to enjoy the country every chance we get. (This means not slothing round at home but spending weekends and summer evenings out and about sightseeing or just walking and going to shows and concerts whenever we can.)

Not getting hung up on the things that aren't as good here as they were in America (not that there are many!)

Never looking back or considering that 'this is only temporary and we can go back if we want.' I think it's important to make the commitment and then get on with it.

Above all else, I think the secret to our success is a lot of careful thought about what makes us happy, and a very realistic approach to what life back here would be like. We spent so much time analyzing and in the end we realized that everything we needed and wanted was in England, not America. That's not true for everyone else.

If you live in California and love being out in the sunshine, for example, don't kid yourself that the weather won't be really hard to deal with. If you have a spouse who really doesn't want to return, but you do and he/she has agreed for your sake, be aware that this may cause real issues. And if financial security and stability is important to you, but coming home means giving that up, think very carefully about what you're doing.

I hope this helps
Great post and i agree 100% with everything you said, I think above all else, being financially secure makes everything else far easier to deal with.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:53 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Not being broke

I hope this helps

I agree also ! Great post !
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:39 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of careful thought about what makes us happy, and a very realistic approach to what life back here would be like. but coming home means ...........think very carefully about what you're doing.

Truly excellent post Sally. I've only quoted the parts that resonated with me the most but above all, an excellent well thought out honest post.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Not being broke

I hope this helps
Echo great post. Thank you. Especially that last paragraph. As you have inferred (I think) and others have said a little bit of financial stability really helps. That is how I am rationalizing my decision. Lots of visits for me in the future for a while.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Not being broke

I hope this helps
Thank you Sally, that is exactly what I was getting at. I thought it would help people to consider what will help or hinder their return.

I'm very lucky, in the fact, job, house and moving is already sorted, but the key for settling back in the UK for me, is my children settling and stability for the near future.

Knowing this has given me the chance to put steps in place to help my children with the move.

By the way, your new home is just beautiful, hope its all you dreamed of
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ldollard
I'm generally confused and perhaps others are regarding what you mean entirely with all the examples, plus what does DD mean?

Regarding the question at the end, not thinking about what you left behind and seeing this new chapter in your lives as something totally new and unexplored helps a lot i think. Also having the knowledge and ability to go back from where you arrived from if possible within a certain timeframe could help. But I also think that could lead to one foot in the old place, which is a bad idea, speaking from experience .
I was trying to show that two people can return or emigrate to the same country or even town and have completely different experiences.

Everyone considers the basics like job and housing, which are essential, but there are so many areas that effect our happiness, not just what country we are in.

I hoped it would help people to explore all the areas.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Everyone considers the basics like job and housing, which are essential, but there are so many areas that effect our happiness, not just what country we are in.
SUCH an important point. I've seen lots of posts along the lines of "I just want to find a place where I can finally be happy." Guess what, if you haven't been happy until now, changing countries isn't going to help.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well said again Sally.

We are in the first stages of thinking seriously about returning - it's that or a different province, so we are really considering what we want from life and wether the places we are considering will meet those needs. For example my husband misses the classic North American car scene and drag racing that was a huge part of his life for 20 odd years, for him, its a big deal to be able to move somewhere where it will be replicated.

Although where we live right now means we have a big house on a couple of acres and we don't have to work so much to have the things we desire it doesnt actually mean our quality of life is better, it's a strange lesson to learn and realise and it does throw a bit of a curve ball into things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.