British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Takings Pets to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/takings-pets-us-629379/)

Bermudashorts Sep 6th 2009 10:59 am

Takings Pets to the US

My husband and I have applied for an Australian visa but it will be two or three years before we get that. In the meantime, it looks like he is about to receive a job offer in the US as he works in a niche area and they cannot fill the place locally.

So we might go and do this whilst we wait for the Australian visa so I had two questions about pets, as we will not leave them behind.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the cats will need quarantine or if I get them rabies jabs here would they be OK to go straight over?

Also, as we would rent, ideally a furnished property, is it very difficult to find landlords who will accept pets? (It is quite difficult in the UK and wondered if it is the same).

dunroving Sep 6th 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Takings Pets to the US

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 7908577)
My husband and I have applied for an Australian visa but it will be two or three years before we get that. In the meantime, it looks like he is about to receive a job offer in the US as he works in a niche area and they cannot fill the place locally.

So we might go and do this whilst we wait for the Australian visa so I had two questions about pets, as we will not leave them behind.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the cats will need quarantine or if I get them rabies jabs here would they be OK to go straight over?

Also, as we would rent, ideally a furnished property, is it very difficult to find landlords who will accept pets? (It is quite difficult in the UK and wondered if it is the same).

No quarantine usually required for bring domestic pets to the US from UK. The requirements are actually state-mandated, so you need to find out what copnditions apply to mporting cats to the particular state you are moving to.

Good idea to get the rabies vaccine before leaving, but check what type is usually needed in the US (I think they use "live vaccine").

As for rented accomodation, can't really help, but offering to pay a higher damage deposit and to have carpets professionally cleaned when you leave usually helps (i.e., offer to do this before you are asked). I'm a dog-owner, but when I rented out a room (and once when I rented a house), I specified "no pets". I have nothing against pets, just against many pet-owners who are not responsible. In one case, I did say it was OK for the tenant to keep a cat, because she offered to do the things described above.

I also know that it can help if your pet has been trained (e.g., Kennel Club Good Citizen Award), but that doesn't apply to cats. ;)

Ozzidoc Sep 6th 2009 12:56 pm

Some places require a higher deposit - a "pet deposit". Some charge slightly higher rent. eg Usually $1150pcm, $1200 if there is a cat/dog

mellybrown Sep 6th 2009 2:05 pm

In our apartment we paid a $450 pet deposit, and got $150 back when we left - in the house we are in now we paid $150 pet deposit. We had no probs finding a place that accepted pets - but there is a LOT of apartment living in Atlanta, and it seems everyone has a dog or a cat, so i guess the demand is there!

Bluegrass Lass Sep 6th 2009 3:40 pm

Just wanted to add that renting a furnished place is not always easy to find, especially depending on where you are relocating to. It's not at all common where I'm from, but could be more popular wherever you plan on going to. As others stated, if the landlord will accept pets, typically there is a regular deposit and a separate pet deposit. If your pet causes no damage, it could be possible to get a good chunk of that deposit back.

I've never heard of any state having some kind of quarantine requirement like the UK does. As long as your furball has had a rabies vac, you'll probably be ok, but do some research into state requirements just to be sure.

Bob Sep 6th 2009 9:22 pm

Pets, depends on the state your going to.

Rent a furbished apartment, unlikely unless it's corporate housing...no problems for holiday period, but not likely for the long term. Pets, depends on the place, if it's a condo/flats would depend on HOA, also some places that woudl allow them would have a large deposit, my current place and previous place had a $1500 none refundable pet deposit on top of the regular deposit.

PepsiChic Sep 7th 2009 6:32 am

i flew my cat to the USA to live with me from the UK. I beleive the process is the same for dogs (times may vary depending on vets)

my cat had to have a rabies vaccine, then go back 4 weeks later for a blood test, and then i had to go get the results 2 weeks later which included a certificate to say he had the rabies vaccine (the blood test is to prove it)

If you want to get the pet passport (incase you wish to come back to the uk/europe with pets) you also need to get them microchipped.

When you then travel with the pets you need to take them to the vets 48 hours before you fly, and get the vet to give you a statement saying when he looked at them and that he deems them "fit to fly"

You will need to check which vaccines the state you are moving to requires pet owners to have. for example, things like feline lukemia vaccines arent needed to fly but are needed once you are in the state.

As for flights, Delta and American Airlines let you fly your cat in the cabin with you in its pet carrier. Toy dogs can also do this as the carrier has to fit under the chair infront of you (so no big dogs) 1 pet per person with carry-on pets.

You need to inform the airline your bringing pets when you book your tickets. if you book your tickets online, wait for your email confirmation then call the airline (they will need a ref number from the email)

good luck!

Bermudashorts Sep 7th 2009 10:07 am

Thanks all for comments, very helpful.

I think I will start organising those rabies jabs then. As this will be a temporary work type visa H1B (or something) we will come back to the UK before moving to Australia! Will be very well travelled cats. We also took one of them to Bermuda and back, but as Bermuda like the UK is rabies free I thought the process would be more complex with the US.

If hubby takes the job, we will be going to California. I would rather live in a house than an apartment, it isn't essential it is furnished I suppose. I just thought as it is a temporary move we might put our stuff in storage rather than bring it there and back. I will definitely offer to have a professional clean and we would be willing to pay a little more for having the cats.

:thumbup:

Ozzidoc Sep 7th 2009 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 7910763)
UK is rabies free I thought the process would be more complex with the US.

If hubby takes the job, we will be going to California. I would rather live in a house than an apartment, it isn't essential it is furnished I suppose. I just thought as it is a temporary move we might put our stuff in storage rather than bring it there and back. I will definitely offer to have a professional clean and we would be willing to pay a little more for having the cats.

:thumbup:

Tell us more! Whereabouts in California?

Bermudashorts Sep 7th 2009 2:57 pm

The job is in Fairfield, California. I don't know much about the town so far and have never been. Does anybody know it?

We don't know exactly where we would live, we would prefer to go further towards the coast than inland if we live outside Fairfield itself. I think my husband would be happy with a journey to work up to about 45 minutes.

Just have to hope they can get the visa, the US is my dream country but I know we have no chance of getting there permanently so a couple of years will be a great life experience for us. We got married in San Francisco so it will be nice to visit again.

penguinsix Sep 7th 2009 4:12 pm

For more info on surrounding areas you should check out or post a message over on this board:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/

It's for people relocating and they've got a lot more on the ground experience in different places since it's not just for expats. You could probably live in Napa or Sonoma if you are wine fan.

Bermudashorts Sep 7th 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks, I will do that. And I love wine. :eek:

chartreuse Sep 7th 2009 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by PepsiChic (Post 7910359)
As for flights, Delta and American Airlines let you fly your cat in the cabin with you in its pet carrier.

Assuming you're talking about transAtlantic, I think you meant Delta and United. ;)

One (or both) of us should really get around to starting up a wiki entry on this...

Bob Sep 7th 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 7911424)

Just have to hope they can get the visa, the US is my dream country but I know we have no chance of getting there permanently...

They can sponsor you for a greencard, not to bad a process if done quickly enough....

Chrissywissy100 Sep 8th 2009 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 7911424)
The job is in Fairfield, California. I don't know much about the town so far and have never been. Does anybody know it?

We don't know exactly where we would live, we would prefer to go further towards the coast than inland if we live outside Fairfield itself. I think my husband would be happy with a journey to work up to about 45 minutes.

Just have to hope they can get the visa, the US is my dream country but I know we have no chance of getting there permanently so a couple of years will be a great life experience for us. We got married in San Francisco so it will be nice to visit again.

http://craigslist.org/sf

is commonly used in the SF/ East Bay area (I found my last two places on there - and we have cats too), and if you click on the Ebay tab at the top in apts/housing, you will be able to search by area (from drop down list) number of bedrooms, price, wheher the posting has a picture, and whether they will take cats!

It'll give you some idea.